Q Dining - Quintessential waterfront gastronomy

By Cruising With Honey - 21:43



Glass. White linen. High ceilings. Refined dishes. Impeccable service.

Descending the flight of stairs from Hacienda with a bellyful of cocktails, I was looking forward to sitting down and enjoying some nosh at Q Dining. It had been a long day, and besides a whopper junior inhaled at lunch, I hadn’t eaten anything else all day.

As we walked into the calm restaurant, I was grateful for the quiet.  The soothing elegance was a much-needed contrast to the lively bar we had just left. Not that I was complaining, Hacienda was incredible, but I was craving a quiet meal were I didn’t have to choke on my dinner while ‘mediating’ three kids’ endless squabbling.

Ben, our host swiftly seated us at and within seconds I found myself sipping a flute of chilled Verve Clicquot.


Before the bubbles could burst on my tongue, amuse-bouche (that’s fancy for appetiser) of delicate smoked salmon topped with a zesty garnish was set before us to kickstart our tastebuds.

Now, as you know I love my food, but equally so, I love words. A menu’s purpose is to tantalise, tease and excite the diner. I often find myself overwhelmed when it comes to choosing my dishes, but when I started reading the Q Dining menu, my mouth curled into a smile, as these words bounced off the page:

“At Q Dining our philosophy is that the dishes we serve are treated no differently from a symphony.
Each ingredient must play its part similar to each instrument would in an orchestra to create a beautiful piece of music.” 

Swoon! This, this is how a guest should be introduced to a meal. One’s imagination should be enticed by the anticipation of the flavours and be given an insight into the mind of the chef. These two paragraphs of poetry excited me, truly. I often relate music to food as both have the same effect on me, igniting multiple senses simultaneously.




Anyway, I digress. Despite being over an hour late for our booking, we were not rushed in the slightest; on the contrary, Ben and his team were utterly charming. While I nibbled on the fig and walnut bread (I would have been happy to just eat a whole loaf of this alone – do not pass up on this) I decided on my meal.

Entrée:


Charred baby octopus and scallops. Incredible. The delicate shellfish was perfectly grilled and complemented the more robust flavour of the octopus. A quenelle of white miso was velvety and sublime, contrasting the brightness of the ruby grapefruit. An absolutely divine dish.


Pork terrine, pork hock with apple and sorrel was earthy and intense. The texture of the terrine was creamy and melted in the mouth.

Main



Cape Grim entrecôte, with celeriac and sauce boderlaise. (In English, a Scotch fillet - or rib eye - with a red-wine sauce.) The premium steak was so tender, even a butter knife was unnecessary. The sauce was rich, and yet not overpowering. A satisfying winter dish that would appease any carnivore!



Lamb Osso bucco, baby carrots and polenta croutons. Fall-off-the-bone meat combined with root vegie and the crunchy polenta balls was bursting with flavour. Again, a hearty dish well suited to the colder weather.

Dessert



Charred pineapple, coconut sorbet, honey. Oh my WOW, it was like eating a Piña Colada! Sweet, light, creamy and beautifully presented, this dessert was almost too pretty to eat.


Macadamia nougatine, chocolate and Milo. This was basically an Aussie childhood classic on a plate, albeit very much more refined. The mild macadamia nougatine matched the chocolate-y Milo goodness perfectly. A touch of whimsy to end a sophisticated meal.

Sometimes, you have the perfect setting for a restaurant, but sadly, diners can be left disappointed by another element; be it the food, service or ambiance. Q Dining does not leave any room for disappointment.


As I scraped the last molten drops of my coconut sorbet, a flash of light beckoned me to look up. Exploding over the dark waters of the harbour, fireworks suddenly appeared. The colourful crackers illuminated the inky night sky. Now, I’m not saying that the Pullman Quay Grand Sydney spent thousands of dollars on fireworks – the timing of which corresponded perfectly with the last mouthful – but for a moment, this spectacular was just for me; the final crescendo to cap off this gastronomic symphony. 

Fireworks, top left corner
  




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments