P&O

Zoltina-J - The Cruise Director as Sweet as Nectar

By Cruising With Honey - 21:06




Cruise Jobs

Cruise Director

Zoltina J - P&O Australia



It’s no surprise to most of you that I loved watching The Love Boat as a kid. I’ve written previously of my love for Captain Stubing, and who could resist Isaac’s cheeky, toothy, smile.

But for me, the epitome of cruising was Cruise Director Julie. I wanted to be her when I grew up! Every week I’d be enthralled by those billowy formal gowns, that blow-waved hair and of course her cheery disposition.

Imagine how excited I was when I stepped aboard the Pacific Jewel (the first time) in 2014 and met Julie – I mean Zoltina – well, JULIE to me! Instantly I was transported to that glowing face holding a clipboard. SWOON! Talk about a girl crush! She had the BEST job on the cruise and was the person with all the answers. I may or may not have followed her around a bit…

During that voyage, there was a show that left me feeling a little uncomfortable. It had some adult themes and my girls were young. I actually walked out of the theatre. The very next morning, the phone in my cabin rang.

“Hi, Ms Beram? This is Zoltina.”

(….)

“I understand you didn’t enjoy the show last night. I’m so sorry. Can you tell me about the issue and I would love to understand why you were upset.”

“Ummmm…. Ohhh (clearing my throat) ... Oh it was nothing. I don’t want to complain.”

“Please let me know, as without feedback I can’t fix things.”

And so I explained to her the issue. And would you believe, within a few hours, Zoltina apologised to all the passengers about the show, from then it had a parental warning and she went out of her way for my girls and I to have the very best seats to that night’s family show.

Now I knew why Miss Zoltina had a cult-like following among cruisers of all ages, and all persuasions.

May I present, Zoltina-J Medwik-Daley

Name: Zoltina-J Medwik-Daley

Title: Cruise Director

Current ship: Pacific Explorer

Latest Cruise: South Pacific

Number of cruises: 19 years worth!

Next Cruise: Queensland

Hometown: Manly, NSW


When and why did you first become interested in working/performing at sea? I cruised a lot as a child with my family and I always loved the Cruise Director and the cruise staff. They were the life and soul of the party and always looked happy. I remember saying to myself, “I want to do that job so I can be happy all the time”.

Had you cruised before working on a ship? I did 22 cruises on the good old Fairstar as a passenger with my family, 3 cruises on the Achille Lauro and 1 on the Norwegian Star.

How is working on a cruise ship different to working on land? You live the work. There are no weekends off, no 9-5 hours or nights off. You don’t go home at the end of the day. The people you are on the ship with are your family. You share the good and the bad. Celebrate the holidays and birthdays. It’s a totally different life but it’s one I have known for 19 years. It’s hard work but its rewarding, I love what I do and how we live.

What are Australian audiences like? Have you worked on other cruiselines? Would you consider other cruiselines? Aussies are hands down the best, and I am not just saying that because I am one. We have a zest for life and never let anything stop us from having the time of our life. When we holiday, we HOLIDAY! I have worked for other cruise lines and returning to P&O over 10 years ago was the best decision on my life. I have never looked back.

What do you enjoy most about being at sea? Anything you dislike? I love not having to worry about making my bed, cleaning up, shopping for food and making meals. Best of all I love that I don’t have to commute to work, traffic in Sydney is a nightmare! It stresses me out for the two days I am normally home for. I do dislike the communication. Internet can be slow because it’s via satellite and same with the phone. Also being away from my family for long periods of time takes its toll, especially when your family starts having babies or your partner works on a different ship.

How many cruises have you completed? How many do you have left? This contract I have done 4 and I have about 18 to go at a guess.

Longest number of days at sea? Do you get sea sick? I’ve done seven days at sea in a row. I do not get sea sick unless I am in a hot, brightly lit room at the front of the ship.

What are your living quarters/cabin like? My office on the Pacific Pearl was a hard office to go to in rough seas for that reason. Depending on the ship. On the Pacific Eden, Aria, Jewel its a one-room, very nice and quite big, on here the Pacific Explorer and Dawn is a two-room cabin which is perfect for all the stuff I bring.

Performing at sea must have its challenges. Can you share a funny/scary story? What is the atmosphere like among the entertainment team? Rough seas can be a challenge. A moving stage is hard enough to stand still on let alone dance on. I am very lucky to have a great cast on board and a great department ready to do whatever when the seas challenge us. I have been through 20 metre seas (70 foot), so when we get five meter it doesn’t faze me. Nothing will ever been as scary as those seas I experienced.

Favourite port? Port Vila in the South Pacific. Internationally it would have to be Santorini in Greece.

Biggest misconceptions cruisers have about cruising and cruise entertainers? That we are on holidays. It’s a real job with a huge responsibility. We are here to make the cruisers have a great time.

Favourite ship? They all have their own personalities. I am currently a big fan of the Pacific Explorer as the crew are awesome.
Have any of your family/friends cruised while you were on board? What was their reaction? Yes all of them except my brother. They loved it and my mother does not stop raving about me, it's really embarrassing.



Where do you holiday? LAS VEGAS or NASHVILLE!

How would you describe the quality of entertainment in ships in general? It’s high grade. We do not have the Don Lane Show or Hey Hey anymore so this is really the only place where people can entertain the masses.

Do you have a favourite show? My favourite show is the Rock show on the Pacific Explorer.

What do you enjoy doing on your days off? Do you get to enjoy port days? Yes we get to enjoy the ports most of the time, but if I am honest, as the job is go go go and we are ‘on’ all the time, I try and catch up on sleep as much as I can in port days, or get some sun, (which reminds me I haven’t been outside in a while).


Do you enjoy the buffet? How do you stay fit? I love me a good buffet, who doesn’t? I have to watch what I eat. I take the stairs and do workouts in my cabin when time allows me. Our gyms are great too if I ever get a chance to go in.

Final thoughts? Being a part of someones happy memories is the greatest thing in the world! We all come from different walks of life, we all have stuff going on back home whether it’s good or bad, our job is to deliver our very best work. You cannot fake what we do. The smiles are real, the, “Hi, How are you?” are real, the getting to know you are real. I love what I do and have loved it for 19 years. I am incredibly lucky to work with some amazing people both on the ship and in the head office in Sydney. The ship is only as happy as the souls that are on her and that is my goal, to make sure everyone, both crew and guests are happy.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments