Top 7 Reasons Why Short Cruises Are The Perfect Getaway

By Cruising With Honey - 01:28


Cruising is the perfect holiday

There is something that I need to get off my chest, and I’ve been very thoroughly annoyed about it for some time.


I’m sick and tired of short cruises getting such a bad wrap. 


I absolutely love short cruises; they are the perfect getaway for numerous reasons, which I’ll elaborate on. But first I want to address some of the over-sensationalised negativity that these mini breaks seem to gather. 

I often read in social media forums, “oh, don’t ever go on a booze-cruise” or “these short cruises are just filled with drunk bucks/hens groups” and even from the true snobs, “these short cruises aren’t a true representation and don’t  even count as a real cruise”. To all those comments, I say phooey.

And don’t get me started on the mainstream media. Many of the ‘journalists’ who jump on the first whiff of an attention-grabbing headline, have no idea about cruising, let alone a short-cruise, and usually call them ‘boats’ and use terrible puns.

For those who don’t know much about short cruises, let me fill in some blanks. Sometimes they’re called ‘sampler cruises’, ‘3-day cruises’ and even, ‘cruise to nowhere.’ They can be 2-nights or 3-nights in length and do not have a port stop i.e they return to the port which the ship departed from, and every day aboard is a 'sea day'. 

Some have themes, such as the Comedy Cruise I went on in May on the Pacific Jewel. There are also 4-night short cruises, but these often involve a port stop. A repositioning cruise can also be a short cruise and other times, it can be one leg of an itinerary.

In addition, if you are an Australian and haven’t got a passport, you only need photo ID for adults and a Medicare card for children to jump on a short cruise.

Here you might be asking yourself, “What makes Honey such an expert on short cruises?” Well, from my very first cruise aboard the Dawn Princess (a 2-nighter from Sydney to Melbourne) to my most recent 3-nighter cruise aboard the Carnival Spirit in July, I have completed more than a dozen short cruises.

These bite-sized holidays have all been incredible in their own ways, and have left me with the most fabulous memories.  I’ve cruised aboard the Carnival Spirit and the Carnival Legend, Dawn Princess, Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl. As yet, I haven’t cruised on Royal Caribbean. I’ve cruised with the Vice-President of Carnival Australia (how much fun did we have JVK?), with my daughters, with the whole family, with my ‘mum friends’, a huge group of strangers who quickly became life-long friends, and I’ve even cruised alone. And while every ship and every voyage has been unique, there is one common aspect: they have all been escapes from reality.


So here are my Top 7 reasons why short cruises are the perfect getaway




Value for money

Have you ever tried to organise a weekend away, thinking it would be an affordable little treat? I have, and I can tell you that weekend or mid-week breaks are not cheap. Say, you’re taking your partner away and you want nice accommodation, delicious food and maybe a little treat and a show. You would be hard pressed to getaway for less than $500 per night. Trust me, I have tried. Even a hotel staycation will cost at least $300 per night just for the accommodation. Now, imagine you have a couple of kids in tow that you have to feed three meals a day, keep entertained and clean up after. Plus, you have to get to your destination, which also eats up time and money. You won't be able to get away with the family for multiple hundreds of dollars per night. Trust me again on this one. The exception is of course is camping or if you don’t have to pay for accommodation.

Cruising (and this includes short cruises) is by far the most economical way to have a holiday. The least I have paid per night is $50 and the most about $120 per person. When you take into account that most things are included, then it’s pretty dang cheap.

And while I’m talking about money, not everyone has the luxury to afford to go on a long cruise. For many people I know, a short cruise is all they can afford, especially if they have a big family. There’s no shame in that. 




Everything is done for you
Life can be hard, and exhausting.  The working, cooking, cleaning, driving, washing, shopping, gardening, folding, (… omg, my fingers are getting tired just typing all the things that make me tired) etc and on repeat.  Well, I have found a short cruise the perfect way to get a break from life. Just like a nap during the day can be revitalising, so too a short cruise can be the ultimate way to just press ‘pause’ and refill that empty tank.



The packing and unpacking


While I have admitted to being a serial over-packer (remember my story of seven pairs of shoes on a 2-nighter?), I have since drastically cut down on the amount of clothes, shoes and toiletries I take with me. Short cruises mean less changes of clothing, and you can easily get away with a small overnight bag and your carry-on backpack or handbag. Less luggage means less unpacking in your cabin, which means less re-packing and very minimal time unpacking and laundry once you get back home.



Work and family commitment 


The scourge of modern society is that most of us are time-poor. So many people literally can’t afford to take time off work, whether it’s due to running their own business, working part-time, having no annual leave or other important commitments such as caring for older members of their families. A short cruise can easily slot into this hectic lifestyle we all lead. In fact, if the cruise departs on a Friday, you can even sometimes avoid taking any time off work (or school) at all. I’ve often left work on a Friday afternoon and returned to work on a Monday after debarking.




The perfect celebration
Ignore the negativity that swirls around short cruises being ‘booze cruises’. I have taken my young daughters away for birthday surprise cruises, my own birthday and even end-of-year-celebrations and thoroughly enjoyed every single cruise. I’ve met people on short cruises who are celebrating their anniversaries, weddings (on board), honeymoons, sports club end-of-season get togethers, reunions, team building events and so many more happy times. A short cruise is a great way to mark an important event by having one heck of a party.



No planning necessary


With a short cruise, there is very minimal planning involved. As there are (generally) no port stops, then there are no shore excursions. It’s the no-fuss holiday.



You get a taste of the ocean 


And finally, and probably most obviously, a short cruise is the only way to try out cruising and decide if it’s for you. If you enjoy it, then great – you’ve caught the cruising bug! If it’s not your cup of tea, then at least you haven’t wasted a lot of money and time.

So friends, the next time you read a comment about how terribly terrible a short cruise is, imagine my annoying voice in your head reminding you of all the awesome things a mini escape from life, cruising on the beautiful blue expanse can be. And hey, you might even fall in love.

JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments