Lezzgo Lego

By Cruising With Honey - 14:49

P&O President Sture Myrmell with Ryan McNaught


I've never been a fan of those little bricks that kids of all ages seem to love playing with.

In fact, I have cursed those darn hard plastic annoyances many times, stepping on them with bare feet, shrieking first them hobbling with indented soles to nurse my wounds.

Yes, I'm talking about Lego (or as my BFF calls them Lay-go, she's from Adelaide).

Brickman Ryan McNaught with his Aria creation
Lego has infiltrated nearly every aspect of entertainment, from movies to music (if I hear 'Everything is awesome' one more time I'm going to scream), apparel, toys (obviously), video games, books and more. So, why not cruising?



As you all know,  I've got three kids and it's school holidays. That dreaded B words - B O R E D - has popped up on more than one occasion since disembarking from the Eden. I know all you parents are feeling me! Anyway, I love my city and love playing tourist in Sydney, so we've done all the usual haunts over the last few weeks, exhausting zoos and attractions. So, imagine my delight when I was invited to attend an exclusive viewing of the 'Sydney Harbour Icons with Lego Bricks' exhibition last Wednesday, 20 January, at the Museum of Sydney. Bonus mummy points. And, (breathe Honey) P&O Cruises President Sture Myrmell would also be there. I was excited enough to meet the Captain of the Eden. Be cool Honey, don't fan-girl out.



So, bundling the kids into our waiting chauffeur-driven chariot (AKA hubby driving the Kluger) we made our way across the bridge in peak hour. We arrived late, dropped off at the front as a non-existent parking spot was sought, and I rushed the kids into the museum.

I don't know what I was expecting, but um, WOW!  How the heck do people build these structures? My Lego interest went from apathy to stratospheric respect. Before my eyes was the Opera House, Luna Park, Harbour Bridge and the Aria. All in perfect miniature greatness.

The kids were ushered to build their own ships while I marvelled, yes marvelled at these incredible creations. I quickly spied the man behind these masterpiece, Ryan McNaught, Brick Man and certified Lego professional builder to congratulate him on his art.

Ryan, who thanks his mum for not throwing out his Lego when he was a child, is one passionate, patient builder.

"I don't have OCD, but I like having things in order. And I'll let you into a secret, girls are better than boys at Lego as they know how colours work," Ryan said.

"And everything is based on mathematics. It takes a lot of planning and patience."

As he was talking to a woman who possesses the patience of a cranky toddler and still uses her fingers to count, I knew then and there, I could never have a career in Lego building.


Lego Luke Mangan chasing a pig
"I built one deck every second day using over 163,000 bricks," he said. I asked how he knew how many bricks he used, he logically told me that the team knows how many bricks they start with and then count the left over. Yup, makes sense.

As we walked me through the intricate details of the model Aria, Ryan pointed out delightful features such as Luke Mangan chasing a pig in Salt, the X Files' Mulder and Scully in the laundry trying to solve the mystery of the missing sock, and even the Hoff disco dancing with Disco Stu up at the Dome. The more I looked at it, the more delightful details I found - I could have looked for hours.


White Party!

Meanwhile, it was time to hear from Sture Myrmell who, along with the Museum of Sydney Executive Director Ian Innes, were both delighted with the Lego Aria. It was also announced that part of the Australia Day festivities, that a giant model of the Eden will be built tomorrow in the forecourt of the museum, under the watchful guidance of Ryan McNaught.

And, for those who didn't know, Sydney Harbour will be four ships deep with the real Eden, Aria, Pearl and Jewel on Australia Day - a first for P&O.

While the kids were busy scoffing sliders and playing with Lego, I sidled up to 
My Eden with the Eden blocks
the Pres - Sture - ( yep, we're on first-name basis now) who was both charming and friendly. Lo and behold he was aware of this humble little blog and told me he was delighted my family had enjoyed our cruise and hoped to see us again on board soon. I hope the same thing too. Here's a tasty bit of trivia I found out from Sture, he and his family were also aboard the Eden on the Christmas cruise! My husband did tell me later he recognised Sture's face. Later that night, it did make me wonder though which cabin he was in? If I was the president of a cruise line, I'd definitely be in the Penthouse suite! As TV/radio host Kate Ritchie occupied that space, Sture and his family must have really experienced the cruise just like every other passenger. Respect.

Anyway, I recommend you head down to Sydney Harbour tomorrow (if you're in Sydney) to see the four magnificent ships. While you're in town walk over to Sydney Museum to see the Lego exhibit (which runs until 31 July), 'Sydney Harbour Icons' and if it's not too late to register, get involved with building the Eden in the forecourt.  Click Here for the link.

P.S I met the incredible Tracey Spicer at the event! I did fan-girl out, I admit this. But she has been an incredible role model for me and countless women in media.


Me with my goody bag
P.P.S I will disclose I was given a goody bag with a Lego magazine, towel, press kit and a few vouchers for free entry to a number of Sydney museums. Head over to my Facebook page to win a double pass.

Just a reminder, I am not paid by P&O and this blog - all the words and images -  are solely my opinion and owned by me.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments