Smorg-Aboard – Pacific Jewel’s Plentiful Pantry

By Cruising With Honey - 14:37

-->


Watching a person cough, pick their nose or scratch their butt while in a buffet line has got to be up there with things that make me puke. 

Thankfully, P&O have come with a solution to ensuring a hygienic all-you-can eat experience - The Pantry.

While the concept was first rolled out on the Pacific Jewel after the refit in May 2015, my first experience was aboard the Pacific Eden (read here). I must admit I was looking forward to trying the Pantry out on the Jewel, hoping it would live up to the great experience I’d had on the Eden. And, it certainly did.

For those who haven’t tried the Pantry yet, here’s a list of all the stations: Curry House, Mexicana, Kettle & Bun, Sugar Bar, Hook's Fish & Chips, Stix and Fat Cow. There are a few other options on other ships in the fleet such as Nic & Toni's on the Pacific Dawn (a new addition) and McGregors Garden on the Eden and Aria. The only ship that still has a buffet is the Pacific Pearl. 

So while every ship has similar layouts, they aren’t identical. Stepping into the Pantry on the Jewel had a nice familiarity and made me feel at ease. Scanning the room I noticed the drink station (free juice and water) was easily accessible and in the middle at the back (between the Sugar Bar and Fat Cow). There was plenty of room to walk around and not too congested with lines.

 

 

As I was with Hope, and she was carrying those two little stuffed dogs everywhere, I needed both hands to carry plates. It was much easier to have her find a table for two, reserve the seats and for me to go forage.

It can be a little difficult to find a table sometimes - and not everyone is a fan of the stools and share tables - but there’s plenty of seating inside and outside. Reserving a table for two was easier than having her little hands reach up to the counters, carry hot food and balance it all. Our method was to walk around, see the options, find a table, get her seated then I’d go back and get our meals. I suppose older kids can fetch their own meals, but this was our plan of attack. 

 

 

Being on a short cruise, we ate lunch three times at the Pantry and once for breakfast – on the port day. Pancakes, french toast, sausages, eggs, cereal, fruit - the WORKS.

 

 

 

With my child being a vegetarian, we found there were lots of options for her including fresh salads, sandwiches and soups.

 

 

A standout for her was the Pumpkin soup, which was a welcome dish to settle her tummy. Thick and bursting with flavour, it hit the right spot.

Standouts for me were Fat Cow – roasted meats and veggies - and Mexicana. I seemed to gravitate towards the Mexican station for two reasons:

1) You can build your own burrito or taco to your liking with a nice selection of meats, cheese, condiments, etc

2) The corn bread, which I am thoroughly obsessed with.

 


There really isn’t much to complain about to be honest. All the food is fresh, tasty and plentiful and with so many different options, there’s something to suit every palate. If you’re watching your calorie intake, you can build your own salad at Kettle and Bun but if all you want is hot chips - like my potato-obsessed young one - you can grab a bowlful drowning in gravy at Hook's Fish & Chips or Fat Cow. 



For all you sweet tooths, the Sugar Bar is a must to try. What I really like is that the servings aren’t huge so you can have as many mini-eclairs as your heart desires. I think I ate 15.

I would be remiss to not once again mention the amazing service by the staff. At every session, I saw the Manager overseeing the area, ensuring tables were cleared, any spills mopped up and lending a hand to less mobile passengers. Yes, it is busy, but I enjoy the bustle and being able to get back up and try a little bit of this and that.

For me, the Pantry has all the elements needed to have a great casual breakfast, lunch or dinner. Loads to chose from, great for a substantial meal or a light snack - and a wide selection to suit most palates.

Best of all, I feel reassured the food I’m eating doesn’t contain a sprinkling of another passenger’s nose boogers.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments