South Pacific Cruise - Day 7 - Pacific Explorer Sea Day

By Cruising With Honey - 20:20




Pacific Explorer

Gatsby Night

Last night, I dined alone. 

As most parents can sympathise, you’re never really off-duty, even on holiday, and on this night  I was on ‘mum duty’ due to my youngest Honeybee having copped sunburn on top of sunburn. 

Now you might think I’m a terrible parent allowing my kid to get sunburnt, but I reassure you, we went through three tubes of sunscreen, wore hats and rash vests. Well, SHE didn’t wear it the whole time, even though I insisted, so yes, sunburn. So, heed this warning; be extra sun safe when on the islands. After I made sure she was well hydrated and soothed her sunburn, she drifted off into a lovely slumber.

Meanwhile, I was starving. Soon enough, Mr Cruising With Honey and the other two kids returned from the Waterfront and I headed down to dine.

Please don’t get me wrong, but after six days of having breakfast, lunch and dinner with the family, it was so nice to just eat alone. And, the meal I had that night - a chicken supreme stuffed with mushrooms and sitting on a bed of spatzle - was by far my favourite dish at the Waterfront. 

It had been an eventful three days in a row - discovering three gorgeous and very different ports was a dream come true. So after a very restful sleep, I approached the second last sea day with gusto. I hadn’t had my fill yet of this beautiful ship yet, or her crew, and I wanted to absorb every single second. 



After another yummy breakfast, we headed to the Marquee for a live cooking demonstration with Executive Chef Ben Frankitt and Maitre d’Hotel Ricxel Quisto. Don’t miss this highly entertaining show, as it’s full of slapstick humour, great cooking techniques and a highly amusing dance and serenade by the the chefs at the conclusion (did someone say chicken dance?) Plus, all attendees were invited for a walk through the Waterfront galley, a highlight for any foodie.



I’d be lying if I said the day went by slowly, and I started to panic a bit. There was still so much to do. We hadn’t eaten at Luke’s yet and I was hanging to try those famous chicken wings. As lunch time creeped up, we thought now was as good as time as ever to try the burgers and wings at the eatery. Kishan found us a table, (well they all are great tables as they’re all overlooking the pool) and placed our orders. The cheeseburgers were juicy and flavourfully topped with ‘Luke’s Special Sauce’ - which the kids thought tasted very similar to Big Mac sauce - the truffle and parmesan coated fries moreish, and the wings saucily scrumptious. While there is a surcharge, it’s definitely worth eating at Luke’s. I think our bill came to about $60, which is very reasonable for five people. The one tip I would suggest, though, is to check what the Pantry is serving for lunch before deciding what you fancied, for as I discovered after our Luke’s lunch, that burgers and hot dogs were being served up, hot and fresh! Duh



We spent the bulk of the day truly relaxing in our favourite spot, the Ocean bar, drinking frappes and cool drinks. My absolute favourite theme was approaching, and I had even attended the Gatsby dance class so I was conserving my energy for the night. Before I move on, the Gatsby dance class is super fun and very relaxed. Even if you have zero rhythm and coordination, like me, you’ll pick up the steps. And, taking part in the ‘flash mob’ in the Atrium was one of the highlights of the cruise!

Evening approached and I was so excited getting dressed to the nines! If you only take part in one theme night, make an effort for Gatsby. The atrium gets decked out, the music is festive and everyone looks incredible. Even if you just don a sparkly headband for the ladies or a hat and braces for the gents, you’ll love the atmosphere.



Dinner was at Angelo’s, and we were treated to the second menu of the cruise. (Both Dragon Lady have two menus that they rotate every three days). Dishes included Caprese salad (which is quite small, so order two if you’re hungry), gnocchi, chicken carbonara and beef flank. Inspired by the meals before me, I asked our lovely waiter if he wanted to hear a joke. He replied, sure, so I couldn’t not deliver. I asked him, 


“Why couldn’t the man open the front door?"

“Umm, I don’t know…” our obliging waiter answered.

“Because he had GNOCCHI” 

There was complete silence. His face was deadpan, no reaction. My kids groaned and literally slid under the table in embarrassment.

Trying to save my joke, I pressed on,

He had GNOCCHI (pointing vehemently at my plate of gnocchi) GNOCCHI, NO-KEY, NO-KEY.”

By this stage the whole side of the restaurant was staring at this mad woman pointing at her plate repeating, GNOCCHI, louder and louder.

Suddenly, our waiter roared with laughter, 


“Ah yes, NO KEY, I get it, yes!”

And he walked off chuckling to himself. Vindicated I loudly exclaimed to my family just how funny I was and that they in fact had no sense of humour. Honey 10 points, humourless family zero.

Dinner wound up, and as we walked out, the music drew us towards the Atrium in a bouncy-walkey fashion. Feathers, sparkles and champagne filled the air. Running down the steps to wait for the dance flash mob, I plonked myself right at the front so I could follow the steps. Looking up, smiling faces lined every possible spot in effort to be a part of the electric atmosphere. Soon enough, the cue came and the dancing begun. I’m sure I stuffed up the steps, but it was SO MUCH FUN!

The rest of the night was a bit of a blur; more dancing and a few glasses of champagne made it one fabulous night. As I walked into my cabin a little giddy, heels in hand, I threw my feather boa across the room. Watching it slowly float to the floor, I suddenly felt sad that there was only more day on the Pacific Explorer. I sank into my bed and allowed the gently waves to rock me to sleep, knowing that the dawn would be upon me soon, heralding my last day on the wide, blue expanse of the ocean.

P.S I forgot to add we watched the awesome show Let's Misbehave. It was FABULOUS!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments