Fijian Magical Moments - Mountains, Caves and Legends

By Cruising With Honey - 22:25




Day 3 aboard Captain Cook Cruises Fiji

I never pictured myself as the hiking-type-of girl, but standing at the summit of Mount Tamasua, I thought to myself that it could become a new hobby. Strike that, I fib, I was actually mentally screaming, “How the frikkity-frik am I going to get back down?” Any fleeting ideas of an off-shoot blog, ‘Hiking With Honey’ were immediately ruled out.



Despite being speared by a menacingly thorny bush and twisting my ankle, the hike was actually spectacular. I’m just not a good hiker – and was terribly grateful for the ever-patient and kind Jeffrey and Joseph who walked behind me every clumsy foot step up the mountain. Reality check: time to improve fitness in 2022.


When I reached the top, 763ft above sea level, I thought about the legend of Mount Tamasua. It involves a giant eagle, a fearsome young man, a virgin - and some bird droppings. I quietly giggled to myself imaging a massive winged-animal swooping towards me and then abruptly making a complete full stop. After taking a moment to catch my breath, I allowed my eyes to drink in the view. I had no words. 

This, THIS was worth the 5:30am wake up, the uphill puff, the swollen ankle and the plant-induced injury. From this vantage point was a stunning 360 degree view of the Yasawa Group. The sun had just risen and the day was enticingly untouched, reborn as if solely for my delight. I could have happily stayed in this spot, spoilt by the beauty.

After descending the hill with the same grace and aplomb as my ascent, a quick breakfast was gobbled back on board, and soon I was heading out to the famous Blue Lagoon. For children of the 80s like me, the film of the same namesake, was a complete taboo. Images of a scantily-clad Brooke Shields and a blonde-ringletted Christopher Atkins swept into my mind. I chuckled. By today’s standards, the film was hardly risqué. 

A slight drizzle had set in, and sadly, the Blue Lagoon looked green. The ‘beach’ we were dropped off at was only a few metres long due to the tide, but this wasn’t going to dampen our spirits. Even in the impending gloom, the lagoon evoked a sense of mystique. 

The ever-smiling crew did their best to make the most of the situation, helping passengers use the selection of water toys. Aunty Gigi saw me eyeing a paddleboard and encouraged me to try it. “Well”, I thought to myself, “If ever there was a place to try balancing my unco-self on a floating device while my upper body managed a paddle, then this was the spot.”

And guess what? I did it! I paddle-boarded around in slow circles, chuffed with my coordination. Even an excited fish showed his approval by leaping out of the water and OVER my board. True story.
 
The rhythm of the rain increased, so it was time to try another spot to snorkel. This time I stayed close to Marine Biologist Amanda and had a wonderful time. I relaxed into the activity and marvelled at the unfolding watery soap opera. Secretly, I was conserving my energy for the what I hoped would be the highlight of the cruise; the Sawa-i-lau caves.

Sawi-i-lau Caves


Entering the caves, I was overcome with a reverence, a stillness. The air was cool and the ground slippery. As my eyes adjusted to the new light, I silenced my inner chatter. As I bowed my head under the overhanging rock, I slowly raised my eyes to capture my first glimpse.

A green, crystal-like shimmering pool appeared, still, deep and majestic. It told the stories –  silently – of eons past. I inched my way closer, beckoned by the healing waters. I didn’t want to break the spell and yet yearned to immerse myself in the healing bath.

Slowly, I dipped my toes, slightly nervous as the bottom seemed galaxies deep. And then, my body was submerged and weightlessness took over. If I ever was going to have a transcendental experience, then this was it. I looked up and the limestone cave walls marked the passage of time. I could feel the stories emanating, pulsating, sharing the wisdom. I floated on my back to absorb the magic, recognising the immense privilege of being in this sacred water.

The passage of time in the Sawa-i-lau caves seemed to last an eternity and a mere moment. It’s hard to explain. But, this extraordinary experience, will inextricably be intertwined with ‘my Fiji’, the Fiji of my soul and heart.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments