Alaskan Adventure with Holland America - Day 2

By Cruising With Honey - 05:02


I woke up with a start. 

Was I really aboard the Koningsdam on my way to Alaska? It took me a moment to recognise the sound of the wake to indeed confirm I was in this gorgeous stateroom. 


My body clock was still adjusting, and so, I was up early – very unlike me. However, this early start gave a chance to become acquainted with my home for the week.

Dutch Breakfast


I don’t want to play favourites, by the Grand Dutch Cafe is hands-down one of the most beautiful spots on board. Delicious coffees, Dutch savouries and sweets selections that change during the day and stunning decor. (Full review to come). I indulged in a hot chocolate and pastries – just scrumptious.

Thermal suite start to the day



I don’t normally indulge in spa treatments on ships, but when I saw the thermal suite aboard Koningsdam, my heart skipped a beat. Without a second’s hesitation I booked the week pass for both Mr CWH and myself. It was no-brainer – hydrotherapy pool, steam rooms, saunas and more to soothe the aching muscles and reenergise after a cold day in Alaska is a match made in cruisey-heaven. (Detailed spa review to come).

Ship exploration


There’s nothing like a sea day to stroll around the ship and discover all her treasures. For a ‘have-a-chat’ like me, it takes a bit longer to walk around as I stop to talk to everyone. Here are a few highlights:

The Crow’s Nest and Explorations Cafe – Deck 12, forward. With expansive views, comfy seating, subdued decor, computers, games a bar and cafe, this spot is incredible. I could happily park myself here for hours to write and enjoy the view.

Lido Deck – With a roof that can open and close, it’s a comfortable way to be outdoors while being protected from the elements. The big screen, pool and beautiful seating really offers something for everyone.

World Stage  - Forget about the old-fashioned style cruise theatre, the world stage is fabulous! Hi-tech screens, ampitheatre-style seating and an expansive stage, guests feel transported and immersed in the experience.

Jet lag and room service



The early morning meant that by mid-afternoon I had fallen asleep in a comfy chair in Crow’s Nest. Mr CWH found me with my laptop open and eyes closed and gently guided me back to our stateroom. As I’d slept through lunch, I thought I’d indulge in room service – again something I normally wouldn’t do BUT it’s included! My meals (yes, meals cos I’m a glutton) arrived in 15 mins. Can I please have this exceptional service when I go back home?


Dinner and a show

As Club Orange members, we had dinner in the Club Orange dining room. Talk about exceptional service. I had the rack of lamb and then an Alaska in Alaska! What a treat.
Soon it was time to catch the show, Humanity in the World Stage. No photography is allowed, BUT take my word for it, the dance show was magical. As mentioned above, the hi-tech screens are used in conjunction with the show – almost like an additional cast member – to enhance and draw the audience into the story. You can always measure the quality of a show by the reaction of the audience. There was a unanimous standing ovation.

I was fighting sleep, and I stopped very briefly at the Rolling Stones venue (it was packed) and opted to retire to my gorgeous stateroom. The bubbles of excitement were building for our first port stop Juneau, so I succumbed to the gentle rock of the ocean and drifted off to sweet dreams.

End of Day 2 




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments