Cruising the Danube with Viking - Day 3

By Cruising With Honey - 11:45


Welcome to the city of music – Vienna!


I really didn’t know much about Vienna prior to embarking on this Viking cruise. Last night, Program Director Anthony gave us an insight into the cafe culture of this city and a few tips on how to order in the true Viennese style.

After a few very hot days, the morning was cool, and a few clouds hung ominously overhead. However, this wasn’t a bad thing at all! The beautiful Danube was thirsty for replenishment.

Today was going to be a jam-packed day of sightseeing in what I was promised is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.


Jewels of Vienna


The beauty of being on a Viking tour is that you get to see so much, and the commentary is excellent. I could never have navigated this city on my own. As with all Viking River cruise itineraries, there is an included excursion in every port. This morning’s one was the perfect way to a get a wonderful look at the city’s best sights.




Alas, I brought the weather with me as we headed out on the Panoramic Vienna included shore tour. The rain wasn’t going to dampen our spirits, and in fact, if it was possible, the rain made the city look even more beautiful, more romantic.



To say the architecture is magnificent is almost an understatement. I ran out of superlatives to describe the beauty of the buildings in the Vienna ring.

Some of the buildings include the Imperial Palace, Lipizzaner Stables and of course the city centre. Watch my video here






Now, only a few months ago I was lucky enough to see Familia Sagrada in Barcelona and was sure this was the most incredible church I’d seen. But today seeing St Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna was just as breathtaking. 




I explored inside and hardly knew where to look. I hope you all have the opportunity to see this marvel one day for yourselves.







Palace life



River cruising is synonymous with seeing palaces, so I was NOT going to pass an opportunity to get up close and personal with the magnificent home of the Hapsburg Dynasty. One thing you will soon realise is just how much Empress Sisi is adored! If you don’t know much about the Empress, please look her up.

The tour of Schönbrunn Palace was an optional excursion, but well worth the money. This palace has everything you can imagine a palace would have – multiplied by about 100. It was built to rival Versailles – and while I’ve never been to France (it’s number 1 on my bucket list) – Schönbrunn’s art, furniture, architecture and gardens were magnificent.

Alas, no photos are allowed inside, so you’ll just have to visit yourselves.



As I strolled through the rose-scented gardens, I imagined myself a courtier, dressed in a resplendent gown, hoping to snare a few moments with the beautiful Queen Sisi. Sigh, if only there was a time machine.

Dinner awaits




Now, there was a third tour guests could book, this was to a Heurigan Dinner – a traditional Austrian feast that celebrates the year's wine at a local vineyard. But, I decided that two tours in one day was enough and besides, I wanted to be back ‘home’ aboard.



Every meal seems to surpass the last, and tonight I inhaled one of the most delicious carrot cakes I’ve ever tasted.


As per every night, a few cocktails were consumed and wonderful conversations with new friends filled the evening. And, very satisfied, I fell asleep dreaming of waltzes and princesses.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments