Serenity in the Sanctuary - Emerald Harmony

By Cruising With Honey - 11:48



Emerald Harmony - Majestic Mekong - Day 5
Tam Nong Bird Sanctuary

How's the Serenity?


Nature has a way of recharging my mind, body and spirit. When I’m immersed in such beauty, I can’t help but marvel in creation; a reminder that everything is connected.

Floating through Tam Nong Bird Sanctuary in Tram Chim National Park was a far cry from the bustling streets of Vietnam, and taking a deep breath, I fell into an almost meditative state, lulled by the gentle movement of the small boat.




Today’s excursion was a DiscoverMore option offered by Emerald Harmony, in other words not included in the fare, but it was well worth paying the cost (about $125). Each boat had about 8 passengers, in addition to a tour guide. Slowly, the boat made its way through narrow waterways as our guide pointed out wildlife on either side.

The rich biodiversity was wonderful to see and there were so many different types of birds including sarus cranes, grey-headed lapwings and Asian openbill storks. I even spotted two water buffalo, lazily hanging out near the canal. Bright pink lotus and waterlily jutted from the canals and lush greenery created the perfect backdrop to the whole scene.




For those few hours discovering Tam Nong Bird Sanctuary, I was completely blissed out and was grateful to have seen so many rare birds in their untouched environment.

River Relaxing


Lunch, a little nap and then Emerald Harmony cast off, heading further downstream toward My An Hung. Guests clambered back aboard the trusty sampans to head to the local village. For the first time since embarking on this Mekong river cruise, I decided to forego the EmeraldPlus excursion and stayed aboard.

As most guests had headed off to climb monkey bridges and learn about village life, the ship as virtually empty. Over to the Lotus Lounge (at the front of the ship) I perused the books on the shelves, leafing through interesting stories of the lands we were visiting. Settling in a comfy chair, I grabbed some tea and enjoyed being in the moment.

French Inspiration 


Dinner came quickly, and the ship was in full swing again. Have I mentioned how delicious the food has been? Tonight, was French Influence Dinner, and it seems like Head Chef revels in outdoing himself every, single, day. Duck, asparagus Soup, marbled sirloin, stuffed aubergines… the selections were exquisite.


Satisfied and a little merry from the free-flowing wine at dinner, I skipped movie night on the top deck to retire to my lovely cabin. As usual, tomorrow’s schedule was waiting on my bed, and I realised we’d be visiting the wet markets in Sa Dec in the morning. I love visiting markets during my travels and I couldn’t wait to be surrounded by the sights and smells of fresh produce.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments