Eavesdropping is rude… But I can't help it

By Cruising With Honey - 13:47


We have all been taught not to eavesdrop. 

Call me rude, but it is a pastime I thoroughly enjoy. I love listening to strangers' conversations. I don't mean to, but I have super-sonic hearing - much to the chagrin of my kids. Anyway, this blog should really be entitled: "Odd things I've heard cruisers whinge about."

For brevity, I will list these conversation snippets below. Now, keep in mind that I'm not being nasty, but some of these are really ridiculous.


(At breakfast woman to staff) "I just want a sandwich. Why can't I have a sandwich?" 
"I'm sorry ma'am. We do not serve sandwiches at breakfast, but you can have toast, bacon, eggs (rattles off 20 other dishes)
"NO, I want a sandwich NOW."
"I apologise ma'am. But if you wait 45 mins, you will have a selection of sandwiches at lunch."
(yelling now) "NOT good enough, I want a sandwich NOW (foot stomp). Where is your manager? ALL I WANT IS A SANDWICH."
(staff member goes to find his manager).

(a foursome of older passengers)
P1: "Have you tried the coffee?
P2 : "Ohh! It is HORRENDOUS
P3: "I refuse to drink it! it is SO bitter"
P4: "I put FIVE sugars in mine. And it is still bitter!
P2: "All your sugar is sitting at the bottom. It's because of those ridiculous wooden things…
P3: "..the stirrers. Yes they are pointless. I am going to find a … a…
P1: "Teaspoon. If you can FIND one (sarcastic laugh).
P3: "I'm going to find someone to complain about the wooden stirrers.
(all four toddle off)
45 mins later I walk past the reception desk and the foursome are waiting in line. I stand patiently to the side, anxiously waiting to hear the conclusion to #BitterCoffeeGate)

P3: "I'd like to complain about the (free) coffee. It is too bitter. And the stirrers are terrible.
Staff: "Ma'am we have barrista coffee at several locations. Also, there are teaspoons and other silver cutlery aboard. Please ask a waitperson for one.
P3: "But, the stirrers…
Staff: "They are for hygiene purposes. Here is a voucher for a free coffee."

(Two older passengers)

Woman 1: "There is nothing to do!
Woman 2: "Oh I know! I don't like the shows, bingo, port stops, the food, trivia, the cabins, shopping, drinking at the bars OR the music.
Woman 1: "Yes, I agree. All these things are not suited to women our age."

(At dinner at the complimentary USUALLY paying Italian restaurant, Angelo's

Diner 1: "WHAT is this menu! Why is it ALL Italian.
Diner 2: I hate ITALIAN
Diner 1: I honestly am DISGUSTED with the food here on this cruise!

(P.S - My family enjoyed beautiful platters of prosciutto, hand-made gnocchi, succulent osso bucco and decadent chocolate tiramisu)


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments