Twas the night before Christmas - Christmas Edition Part 1

By Cruising With Honey - 13:40

-->
Christmas Extravaganza


Spending Christmas without my family was always going to be tough.

In actual fact, I had to prepare my mum and dad - weeks in advance - who were both happy we were having a holiday but also terribly sad we wouldn’t be gorging ourselves on both food and love with the whole clan.

The other challenge I had was to have all my Christmas shopping done, presents wrapped and somehow hidden ten days before the big event. I’m a Christmas Eve shopper, so having all this done was no mean feat. The three little misses all had their individual concerns.

Miss 11: “Mum, is there going to be Mass? We can’t miss Mass, we have to go to Mass. Can you find out? If not, we have to our own Mass. Mum, Christmas is about Jesus, we can’t miss MASS!!!”

Miss 10: “I know there’s no Santa, so just give me my presents now. Actually, I don’t need anything, the cruise is more than enough."

Miss 8: “How will Santa find us? Are Reindeers afraid of water? How will Santa get into our cabin? Will I be able to get a carrot from the kitchen? Where will the sleigh land? Can we take a mini-Christmas tree? I need to leave Santa a treat…..” and on and on for hours. I zoned out and just nodded.

Anyway, I successfully had all the very badly wrapped presents hidden in the garage (I am the worst wrapper, ever) and, as the kids were carrying their luggage out to our shuttle, I dumped the pile under our Christmas tree and shut the door behind me.

Mission completed. As I was unsure what type of festivities the Eden had in store for the kids, I reassured Miss 8 that if Santa couldn’t deliver on the cruise, he’d probably leave them at our house.  I was happy to go along with this ruse, she’s a child and this might be the last year she believes in the magic of Santa.

I hope I haven’t lost you after that long-winded intro, but it sets the scene, expectations and hopes my family had for our Christmas cruise. All I wanted was a relaxing day and hopefully my kids would not be missing their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Many people asked why we didn’t book a holiday after Christmas. The simple fact is that both my husband and I work for ourselves, so this was the only time we could take a break and not let our clients down. School holidays are hard to manage at the best of times, so this cruise ticked all the boxes for our family, and I’m sure for many other families.

N.B I will be elaborating on all the different festivities organised for Christmas in other posts otherwise this one will be way too long, so this post will focus on Christmas Eve.

I must point out here, that when we embarked, we noticed all the Christmas decorations around the ship. Christmas trees, baubles, wreaths, tinsel… it was lovely and really set the mood for the cruise we were about to depart on.  To the disappointment of Miss 8, there wasn’t a Christmas tree in our cabin, but she came prepared with her little trinkets. I also saw other cabins (remember, I’m a sticky beak) were decorated with Christmas cheer.

Gingerbread display at the Waterfront

I was pretty much still in the dark as to what was organised for the kids for Christmas, but one thing we had organised was Christmas dinner at Angelo’s at 5:30pm. I thought I was pretty clever booking the first sitting and I’m SO glad we did. More about that later.


However, come Christmas Eve and the Pacific Daily revealed there were two religious events organised, a Ministry of the Word and Holy Communion in Torquay (the theatre room) and Catholic Mass in the Marquee at midnight (much to the relief of Miss 11).

Speckled throughout the day were various Christmas themed events and also the Christmas Extravaganza Show (6:30pm and 8:45pm). While we were waiting, Miss 11 and I decided to try our hand at Bingo. As we took our seats, the gorgeous Marius asked who were first-timers. I put my hand up and stated quite arrogantly that I was going to win. The crowd laughed and booed (in good fun) and the first game started.

“BINGO” I squealed and the crowd groaned. As I made my way up to collect my $53 – I danced around the stage just to embarrass my daughter – and my glow stick “All the way from China” I felt rather smug. Beginner's luck though as I didn’t win ever again!




As Miss 8 and Miss 10 were off at Kids Club and hubby was at the gym, I thought I’d get a couple of pressies and sneak them into the cabins. Miss 11 and I bought a few tins of M&Ms, wrapped them and hid them under the beds. Mummy points gained! I was feeling pretty chuffed at my ingenuity. This was soon to unravel though, I’d fail miserably as a spy.

After dinner, we headed to the Marquee for the Christmas Extravaganza. Glow sticks were handed out and young and old waved them along to the beat. A sweet choir made up of passengers kicked off the night, which I thought was a lovely addition. The show was exactly what I expected it to be, full of clichéd carols, witty jokes, a few sombre moments and kitschy backdrops. Don’t misunderstand me, it was the perfect family show and it was thoroughly enjoyed by one and all. The entertainers were bubbly and Alun was the perfect host. The night culminated in a grand old sing-a-long in probably the most depressing way possible; Band Aid’s 1984  Do they know it’s Christmas? I’m old enough to remember the horrendous pictures of starving children in Ethiopia, so my mind automatically replayed these for me in bright technicolour. I’d suggest a more upbeat song for next year!

We headed off to walk around the ship in an attempt to keep the kids up for Midnight Mass and happened to stumble upon Karaoke. Wannabe singers dressed in elves costumes and $2 Shop Christmas t-shirts blasted our eardrums – it was pretty funny and something I’ll soon not forget. There was the young lady who was utterly tone deaf ploughing though a song I did not recognise while her husband stood beaming with encouragement clapping on the 1 and 3. This explained to me quite clearly why these two were a perfect match.  Then there was our new friend Phil who sang What a wonderful world to a standing ovation.

By 11:30 the kids were virtually asleep standing up, but we successfully kept them awake for Midnight Mass. I was surprised how many people were actually there: families, teenagers and older passengers. The priest was friendly and there was a beautiful, peaceful feeling around the Marquee. Mass at sea was a first for me and a memory I will always treasure. I got lost in the moment but then was dragged back to the reality of being aboard a ship when, as Father was consecrating the Host,  announced to us all that he’ll be wearing a glove to distribute Eucharist, due to Red Alert.  That was a first for me AND him! Passengers wished each other a Happy Christmas and we carried our little ones to the cabins.

Now, remember how clever I thought I was buying sweets and hiding them under the beds? Well, I had to find a way to get into Miss 8 and hubby's cabin once they were sound asleep to leave them under her makeshift Christmas tree. She had left a can of ginger beer (just in case Santa suffered from sea sickness) and some crackers. By 2:30am I snuck out of my cabin carrying the brown paper gift shop bag filled with the goodies. I was half asleep and not wearing my glasses. Hubby had left his cabin card so I entered the room as quietly as possible, knocking into the table and falling over. As I was already on the floor, I crawled over to Miss 8 who was still soundly sleeping. I took out the presents, placed them on the bedside table, took a glug of ginger beer and shoved the crackers down my gob. I then reversed out and went back to my room. Mission completed.

The next morning, Miss 8 comes bounding in with the chocolates. Her first words were not “Merry Christmas” rather:

“Mummy, Santa used your Cruise Card to pay for these chocolates. He’s really lazy and a thief. He copied your signature!”

I was confused? What was she going on about?

Apparently, while I was congratulating myself on being super awesome, I left the brown paper gift bag WITH the receipt on the floor of her cabin.

Yeah, good one Honey.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments