The Dawn of a new cruising age

By Cruising With Honey - 12:54


P&O Cruises Australia

Pacific Dawn


 
(In an exasperated, whining voice), "Doesn't the Pacific Dawn look tired!"

Ugh, the amount of times I've heard (remember I'm a professional eavesdropper) and read that above statement in cruising forums, are too many to remember. And, it may be true - in fact it probably IS true. From a personal perspective, I cannot say either way as I am yet to cruise on the Dawn. However, there must be some truth as this much-loved vessel is currently in dry-dock getting a facelift.

While I have yet to experience the Dawn for myself, I must say I am super keen to see her with my own eyes and report back to you all. The main reason is this: (see pic below)




Now while this is a rendered image (as I wrote above, she in dry-dock in Singapore RIGHT NOW), these images make me want to crack out the credit card and book a cruise while I'm typing. From experience,  rendered images are pretty darn close to the real thing. You see, before I went on the Eden, the only pics I saw were the rendered ones and the ultra-swish virtual tour. Once aboard, the similarity was very close indeed. So, I'm pretty confident the rendered images of the refurbed Dawn are accurate. Here's another to whet your appetite.

 
(For a history of the Dawn, click here)

Once the Dawn leaves Singapore on 2 March, looking all spanking new, her first voyage will be a South Pacific cruise on 16th March departing from Brisbane (her home port).



According to P&O, the multi-million dollar refit is part of the cruiseline's "commitment to the Queensland cruise market."

"The 2000-guest ship will... emerge from its drydock with a stylish new look and a host of new features never before seen on a Queensland-based ship."

As well as the Pantry and other revamped dining options (see my blog post  about 'Shell & Bones Seafood & Grill'), P&O promises the new Dawn to be more stylish, sophisticated and contemporary. 

“With the new waterpark, dining options and a refreshed interior design, we’re creating a great new look for Pacific Dawn which will combine some fun innovations with the winning features of our existing ships,” P&O Cruises President Sture Myrmell said.


The Waterpark
To be honest, I'm really excited about this news. I think P&O are slowly updating their fleet - starting with Eden and Aria, this refit of the Dawn, the Explorer in a few months, and hopefully the new ship in 2019.

With so much competition and the recent  cruising boom in Australia, I think it's imperative P&O stay current, modern and offer Australian cruisers options. Remaining accessible and affordable, I believe, are vital in this current climate. I truly hope cruisers embrace these changes and that P&O can communicate their future aspirations clearly and succinctly.

Having recently cruised on the Pearl and the Jewel, it is clear they are both tired. Now, I hate comparing cruiselines, but after spending time on other ships which offer features such as waterparks, I can see that P&O are aiming to cater to the next generation of cruisers who expect more. There is a lot of love - and loyalty - for P&O, and I hope this continues to grow.


 
With everything in life, standing still is never a good idea. You become stagnant, boring and then, replaceable. Evolution is key, and I'm keen to witness this Dawn of a new age in cruising for P&O.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments