P&O

Glorious Marius Pool - the Bingo King

By Cruising With Honey - 17:46



Working on Cruise Ships

Cruise Entertainment


Name:                 Marius Adriaan Pool
Position:             Entertainment Coordinator
Current ship:     Pacific Explorer
Cruiseline:          P&O Australia



My mum plays bingo, every day - sometimes twice. I must admit I've tagged along to the odd Housie, even winning a few bucks. I thought I knew Bingo, but nothing prepared for Bingo with Marius.

I'll never forget my first time. It was aboard the Pacific Eden, Christmas 2015. The theatre was packed and I thought it would be a great way to bond with my eldest. I remember we had walked in late and 127 pairs of eyes eyed me carefully. Each of the eye-owners had been religiously attending Bingo every day, and here I was, jauntily strutting to the front where two seats were free. My embarrassed tween was hoping the gaily-coloured carpet would swallow her up as I made sure everyone knew I was in the house. "I'm going to win!" I exclaimed a little too loudly, for maximum embarrassment points. My tween seemed to fold in on herself, slithering into her seat.

Lo and behold, on the very first game - and after only 45 calls  - I WON! I Shot up my arm and screeched B I N G O! I ran up on stage, doing a little uncoordinated jig, ran up to Marius, gave him a hug and snatched the mic from him, 

"I'M HONEY FROM SYDNEY, I WRITE A CRUISING BLOG, FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, CRUISING WITH HONEY. DON'T FORGET, THAT'S CRUISING WITH HOOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEEY." 

Amid the groans and polite applause, Marius somehow took ownership of the mic and handed me my "Keyring from China" and my $74.50. I returned to my seat, and thought I'd sat at the wrong table. Where was my tween? As I swivelled around, I caught a silhouette of dark, curly hair hurriedly exiting the theatre. Parenting 101!

Anyway, over the next week, I didn't miss ONE activity run by Marius. He MADE the cruise for my family. Nothing was too much, he always had time for a chat, a joke, a selfie  or a dance. To say he embodies joie de vivre is an understatement. Not only is he warm and helpful, he has a wicked sense of humour and is loved by all who cross his path. May I present, Marius Pool.


Number of cruises? Lots! I can't remember.
Next Cruise: Tangalooma (Moreton Island)

When and why did you first become interested in working/performing at sea?  Well, I was working for BMW, and realised after 7 years I was wasting my time. I met up with someone in South Africa and it was explained to me just how perfect I’d be for cruising. So, I said yes!

Had you cruised before working on a ship? If not, what was your first impression? No I hadn't. I felt like I was in a fairytale.

How is working/performing on a cruise ship different to working on land? It’s just like being on holiday but with some duties. It's the dream job!

What are Australian audiences like? Have you worked on other cruiselines? Would you ever consider other cruiselines? Love, love, love, the Australians - and on every cruise I'm looking for my future husband! I haven't worked on any other cruiseline and I wouldn't consider it.

What do you enjoy most about being at sea? Anything you dislike? I love that you are free. But, I wish I could cook myself.

How many cruises have you completed? How many do you have left? I have done quite a few. I don't know the exact number, but it’s a lot. I have 9 months to go for this contract, then I'm off to South Africa for a month. After that I'll be on the Pacific Jewel.

What's you longest time at sea? Do you get sea sick? The longest is 9 months and I have never been sick... touch wood!

Performing at sea must have its challenges.  It’s really good when it’s good. But we have challenges all the time. Sometimes there are guests who just don’t get how hard we work so that we can deliver an amazing product - but even then we try and please those guests. That can be challenging, but we win in the end of the day by getting a smile from them. 

Favourite port or destination?  Melbourne 

Biggest misconceptions cruisers have about cruising and cruise entertainers?  We're just normal people and work just as hard as anyone else.

Would you recommend other artists to experience performing on a ship? Yes. Yes. Yes. 

Favourite ship? Pacific Explorer 

Have any of your family/friends cruised while you were on board? What was their reaction? 
Yes, my friends have and they were amazed on how I do it all!

How would you describe the quality of entertainment in ships in general? It’s really good. Even amazing. We really work hard and deliver a great product. 

How often do you perform? Rehearse? All the time

What do you enjoy doing on your days off?  I love watching Grey's Anatomy. It makes me feel like I’m a doctor.

Do you enjoy the buffet? How do you stay fit?
I enjoy the Pantry as I can select my food myself. I am very health conscious at the moment, and work out and train every minute I have. I'm really trying hard to be healthy

Any advice? Tips? Final thoughts? Just come and enjoy it, and if something bothers you get hold of an entertainer, we are there to make sure you have a good time. If at all you feel unhappy when you're aboard, come and speak to us. We will try and make sure you have the best time. Enjoy life and remember it’s all good at the end of the day!

FOLLOW MARIUS ON HIS INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments