MiG Ayesa - Entertainer Extraordinaire

By Cruising With Honey - 14:58



When I was 15, I laid eyes on one of the most beautiful humans I had ever seen.
 


I imagined this ethereal being was the inspiration behind Shakespeare’s poem, Venus and Adonis:

 Thrice-fairer than myself,' thus she began,
‘The field's chief flower, sweet above compare,
Stain to all nymphs, more lovely than a man...”

Sitting in that cold university theatre back in c1990 and watching his sparkly blue eyes, it was easy to see this young man was going to be a star. And indeed his destiny has been written in the heavens. Not only has he performed in some of the biggest musicals and stage productions all over the world such as: La BambaRENTWe Will Rock You (London); Thriller Live and Bridges of Madison County, but you might also remember this Sydney boy in an extremely popular TV series, Rock Star: INXS where he competed and narrowly missed out on being the new lead singer of INXS.

And now, this incredible talent is wowing audiences on the Seven Seas.

Before you read on, I know what you must be thinking; beauty is usually skin-deep. However I am certain the Gods smiled upon this child when he was born granting him beauty that penetrated deep into the layers of his very essence. So, dear readers, I am proud to present to you, my friend and entertainer extraordinary, MiG Ayesa.




Name: MiG Ayesa
Singer/Musician/Actor 

Current acts:
Solo Headliner Performer:


MiG ROCKS THE BOAT’
Headliner Performer:
‘ROCK RHAPSODY’
Headliner Performer:
‘TENORS OF ROCK’ 

Current ship: 
Just got off the Celebrity Equinox, but so far just in 2017:
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Reflection
Ovation Of The Seas
Quantum Of The Seas
Norwegian Jade 

When and why did you first become interested in performing at sea? 

It really wasn’t in my radar to perform on ships at all. In fact I resisted the very notion of it, as I thought it was where performers went to die, ‘The end of the career’ move. It was only when I was approached by the guys from the Tenors Of Rock to collate a pool of talent they could draw from for ships leaving the USA, that I was actually booked on my first cruise. And for me it was love at first sail! My first ship was on the Celebrity Reflection with the Tenors, and it opened my eyes to what performing on these majestic ships was like.

My attitude and impression of cruise entertainment totally changed. It was when I posted about my experience on the ship, that I was approached by a booker to do my own headliner show for the Chinese/Asian market, and I have not looked back since. That was just over a year ago.

Had you cruised before? If not, what was your first impression?

The only cruise I had ever done was when I sang the National Anthem for the naming ceremony for the Allure Of The Seas in 2010, and I had a room for a ‘voyage to nowhere’ just overnight. I was totally in awe of the scale and enormity of these megaships then, but it wasn’t really until I spent a decent amount of time on the ships as a performer that I really got to appreciate the facilities and the expertise it took to put on shows there. As for the ships themselves, I was totally blown away. I was so spoiled to start my ‘cruising career’ on the Reflection, but it forever changed the way I saw cruising.

How is performing on a cruise ship different to being on land?

It’s a whole new world performing on these massive ships. The theatres are decent sizes, seating over 1,000 audience members, and although they are a ‘captive’ audience, they have been exposed to lavish production shows and amazing musicians the whole time they have been on board. So they are quite savvy about their entertainment and expect a lot from you. Travelling from ship to ship means you must acclimate yourself quickly to your new surroundings and protocols for each cruise line can vary greatly. You may be asked to fly across the world, board a new ship and then perform two shows after a mere hour rehearsal with a brand new band on the very day you embark. There are guidelines to adhere to and they may change not only from cruise line to cruise line, but from ship to ship within the same cruise line. You may come prepared with your charts and cue sheets all in order, and ready to change it up at the last minute. Much is expected from you, and you are judges per performance by not only the production staff on board, but by the passengers themselves who give you a rating. If you get a bad rap, you might never be booked again.

Apart from the movement you may feel if the ship is sailing through turbulent waters, the state of the art theatres could well be like any theatre on land. The crew on lights, sound and staging are all world class, and are experts in their field. Also, you may be able to roam around the ship inconspicuously before your scheduled performance, enjoying all the common areas for the passengers, but once you perform you become like an instant celebrity, as most of the passengers would have seen your show. You are all travelling together, so it’s quite surreal at times.



What do you enjoy most about being at sea? Anything you dislike?

I love the variety of places I visit. The ports of call are amazing and I am yet to feel jaded about visiting a port. My passport in the last year has been heavily branded with ink from all over the world, from Asia to Europe to the Caribbean to the Americas to the Pacific and Australasia. That part never gets old. I also love the sunsets over the oceans. I have become so spoiled with having the most spectacular views from my window or sometimes even my own private balcony. I sometimes dislike the loneliness I feel at times. Even though I am on a ship with thousands of people, these people I don’t know. When I do my show for the Chinese market, I often just stay in my room days at a time, working on different projects. I enjoy this opportunity to focus, but I do miss my loved ones. Facebook and Instagram have been life-lines for me and has kept me company in my loneliest times. Being a guest entertainer, I am usually allocated a guest stateroom, and when I’m really lucky I even get upgraded to a suite. However, if the cruise is totally full, sometimes I am allocated a crew cabin, often without even a port hole to look out of. I know I am spoiled, but it does get me down if I have to settle for a less than luxurious cabin.

How many cruises have you completed? How many do you have left? How long is your contract?

As a guest entertainer, I am booked one to two cruises at a time, but if the cruises are short I may do up to six cruises in a row. I’ve done about 49 cruises so far, and have many bookings lined up, either as a solo act or with Rock Rhapsody or the Tenors Of Rock.  My contracts only last from cruise to cruise so I am under no obligation to continue this crazy schedule after the current bookings have been honoured. 

Longest number of days at sea? Do you get sea sick? What are your living quarters/cabin like?

My longest single stretch at sea was three weeks on the Quantum Of The Seas in December 2016, however I did a stretch between the Mariner Of The Seas and the Voyager Of The Seas which did go over four weeks. I have gotten sea sick on small boats, but these ships are so huge, I am happy to say I have not gotten sick on these ships yet, even when we were in heavy seas chasing a super typhoon out of Okinawa. When possible, my living quarters are superbly luxurious and generously appointed. I am treated as a guest being a guest entertainer, with all the privileges that that status entails, even sometimes being upgraded to suites. However, if the ship is completely booked, I have been put into crew cabins, which are comfortable, but a far cry from a guest stateroom.



Performing in high swells must be a challenge. Can you share a funny/scary story?

There was that time when we were 100 miles from the epicentre of a super typhoon that was hitting Okinawa, Japan, and we had to basically slow down to almost an idle tread water to avoid it. But the seas were ROUGH and the Quantum Of The Seas was moving like it was a dinghy. I had to do a show that night and I had to keep saying between songs, “Is the boat rocking, or is it just me?”

What is the atmosphere like among the entertainment team?

There is a lot of camaraderie among the performers and crew but it does vary between ships, but like in normal life, some companies are more homogenous than others. They obviously love their job and are grateful for the experiences they encounter. However, despite the best efforts of the companies and of the management, being months at sea away from home with the same group of people can get old for sure. I am surprised there are not more ‘unsavoury’ situations. But all in all, it’s usually one great big happy yet real family, with issues and highs and lows. The crew bar at night is always an adventure! People learn that there is nothing gained from being negative about things. It’s all how you approach it. Some people are cut out for life at sea. Others should just stay ashore.

Favourite port or destination? 

Sydney. The ship ports right in the centre of the city, at Circular Quay, so you can just walk everywhere, and the sail away from Sydney Harbour at sunset is the most spectacular experience ever. Having said that, Santorini, Greece ain’t too shabby either. 

What are the biggest misconceptions cruisers have about cruising and cruise entertainers? 

Possibly that we work on ships because we can’t get work on land. The truth is I CHOOSE to work on ships for now for all the experiences and challenges it brings.



Would you recommend other artists to experience performing on a ship? 

Absolutely. I wish I had done this earlier. It’s a wonderful way to see the world, set yourself up financially, and really hone in your craft. I have learned so much in the time I’ve had on ships. It’s not for everyone, and it takes a lot of time and effort to set up, but once you get started, it becomes addictive. 

Favourite ship?

At the moment, the Ovation Of The Seas… then comes the Celebrity Reflection.

Has any of your family or friends cruised while you were on board? What was their reaction? 

Not yet. But I hope to get them on board one of my ships soon. 

How would you describe the quality of entertainment in ships in general?

It truly varies. I have been blown away by the talent in some shows, and left a little flat with others, but it far surpasses my expectations of what I thought they would be. Some of the shows you see on these ships are quite unique that you will never see anywhere else.

For example, those Quantum Class Royal Caribbean ships have what is called the BAR TWO70, which is space at the aft of the ship which is a lunch/dining common space during the day with enormous windows to take in the spectacular views, but at night becomes a nightclub/showroom where the windows become giant screens where animated visuals enhance the lavish production cabarets that grace this incredible performance space. 

How often do you perform? Rehearse? Do you have a favourite show?

I perform one night per cruise, with two 50 minute shows each night. I rehearse with the orchestra for about an hour and a half on the day of the shows. But I continually have to rehearse privately as I must always refresh my repertoire. My favourite show I’ve seen on any ship was the production show on the Ovation called ‘The Beautiful Dream’. The talent, costumes, choreography, song choice… so tastefully done and artistically executed.

What do you enjoy doing on your days off? Do you get to enjoy port days?

The awesome thing about this line of work is the fact you work on these vacation paradises!! So I spend my days off lying by the pool, going to the gym, eating at the fabulous restaurants, reading, working on projects in my cabin, writing new material, taking photos and working on videos. And the port days are amazing. I take every opportunity to visit all the places I possibly can. I sometimes get emotional at how lucky I am to be able to see the places I do… and get paid for it.

Do you enjoy the buffet? How do you stay fit?

I enjoy the buffet a little TOO much! The food is always excellent and abundant! I have to control myself so I don’t go crazy. I usually fill my plate up first with salad stuff, so I have little room left for the naughty things. The gyms on board are state of the art, so I get up as early as I can and work out before breakfast. Sometimes if we visit ports that I’ve already been to, I go through immigration with just my jogging gear and GoPro and do a scenic exploratory jog: the best way to see a city and stay fit.

Any advice? Tips? 

There are so many pros and cons about performing on cruises. It has to be something you are really passionate about. Now that I am in a new relationship, I am trying to reduce my time away, but at the same time I am saving to buy a property so will take all the bookings I can get. It’s a fine balance. Be prepared for long times alone, long haul flights, sleeping pills, jet lag, baggage and visa issues, coffee and the never ending search for fast and affordable WiFi. Enjoy the adventure, relish the experiences, savour the training and maturity you will gain from your performances and use it to fulfil whatever it is you decided to become a performer for in the first place.

Final thoughts? 

It will be a hard life to give up…

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments