South Pacific Cruise - Day 4 - Noumea, Amadee Island

By Cruising With Honey - 22:32


Amedee Island

Noumea

My mother still holds her breath and does the Sign of the Cross when I take the stairs, calling on the angels to protect me lest I topple over and break something.

She would have passed out if she saw me today! Now, mind you, I took it very slowly and took numerous rest stops along the way, but I walked up (and back down) the Amedee Island lighthouse! All 26,895* steps.  

Now this was no mean feat for a person with limited balance and co-ordination, spiraling up the staircase as it got narrower and narrower. The last few ‘ladders’ were rather petrifying, but I made it out to the lookout, just long enough to take the obligatory, and breathtaking, photos.


Day 4 and our first port day, Noumea! I have been waiting nearly 30 years to visit a French speaking country (ever since Year 7 French class). We docked at the port and walked off into the humidity. There was a coach waiting to take us to the marina to board the boat to take us to Amedee Island tour. Our tour guide, Ildoko was fabulous, explaining the planned days’ activities.

After a quick 45min boat ride we arrived – and what was before us stole my breath. Crystal clear water in all shades of blue (and in colours that as yet have been named), beautiful palm trees and of course that magnificent lighthouse.  All around me I could hear my second favourite language, spoken with such romance and finesse. It seemed there were quite a few tourist from both Noumea and France with us.

We swam, snorkelled, sunbathed and spotted a few of the stunning snakes Amedee is famous for. Yes, they are venomous, NO, they can’t and don’t bite humans, and NO there is nothing to be afraid of.

A gourmet buffet was served next with both islander and French specialties. I spied one meat and asked which animal it came from.

(In a delicious French accent)
“Eermmm, what izz dee animal wid Santa Clause?”
Perplexed, I answered,
“Reindeer?”
“Ahh, oui, zis iz de reindeer.”

Still utterly confused, I wondered how the heck neatly sliced and cooked reindeer ended up on a South Pacific Island? Possibly Rudolph lost his footing last Christmas crossing the Pacific Ocean…
Later, an English speaking chef explained it was just deer. Still confused.



After a cultural dance exhibition, more swimming and the lighthouse tour, it was time for our glass-bottomed boar ride. While we were all captivated by the myriad of beautiful fish, it was the green sea turtle we all prayed to spy. Then, suddenly, a huge turtle! Then another and a few minutes later a third. I never thought I’d be so excited to see this magnificent creature up close, but I must admit, it was magical.


It was soon time to return to Noumea, and the combination of the motion of the boat, the food, wine and swimming caused a magical effect. EVERY single person fell asleep! As we arrived back at the marina to jump on the coach to transport us back to Pacific Explorer, a short 5 mins drive, we meandered tantalisingly close to the French Patisserie where I had hoped to eat a dozen or more croissants. Alas, time had run out and we had to get back aboard.

Until next time Noumea, a bientot!

*not the actual number. The real number of steps is 247). 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments