Explorer Dream - A Diner's Delight (Part 2)

By Cruising With Honey - 17:04





Dream Cruises

On my second sailing on Explorer Dream around NZ, I had more chances to tantalise my tastebuds and fill my greedy tummy.

Please Read PART 1 first, as I have reviewed all the included or free restaurants.

In this blog post, PART 2 - I'm reviewing the speciality or pay to eat restaurants aboard Explorer Dream. 

Let me preface by saying that there are a variety of paid eateries aboard Explorer Dream, from very casual bakery-style shops to the formal Chinese Silk Road. Unfortunately, once again I didn't eat at EVERY restaurant, so there are a few holes (there's always the next cruise) but I will try to be as comprehensive as possible.

Umi Uma 



From tepanyaki to sushi, Umi Uma offers delicious Japanese fare. I didn't eat any of the sushi or a la carte, however I did try the tepanyaki. My first word of advice: do not eat for at least three hours beforehand. My second word of advice: wear stretchy pants. 

There are a two tepanyaki rooms in the restaurant, so it's a great way to enjoy a family meal or a special occasion with a a group of friends. There a few different menu to choose from (meat, seafood or vegetarian) and prices start from $62 per person.

Don't expect this to be a boring, formal sit down affair. The tepanyaki chef is entertaining, funny and very skilled. Expect some food to come flying your way, and for lots of laughter and cheers.  I highly recommend giving this a go, you won't be disappointed, but you will be very, very full.





Silk Road

I can't give you a review of this restaurant, however I heard great things about this eatery from the Captain himself. Traditional Chinese food, and from the outside the decor is beautiful.

Chef Mark Best's Seafood Grill



The alfresco restaurant has a multitude of options, mostly seafood in his funky space. From fresh oysters, prawns and crab, I was lucky enough to have a seafood brunch, complete with champagne cocktails. 





On my last night aboard, I was treated to a wonderful dinner at the restaurant. Make sure you order the guacamole and corn chips  - I'm angry at myself that I only discovered this on the last night. so, so good! The lobster rolls were drool-worthy and fresh spring rolls fragrant and light.











What I loved about eating at Mark Best's Seafood Grill (aside from the delish nosh) was the service. For those who have cruised before, you know how windy and chilly it can get on the open  deck. Well, no need to fear, the wonderful waiters bring snuggly blankets to keep you toasty while your savouring your meal. Just magic!

Mozzarella Ristorante & Pizzeria

Gimme pizza, calzone, mozzarella sticks and risotto! Located on Deck 7, this place is located in the walk-through area of the ship, not far from the reception. The food is very reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. The other great thing is that it's open quite late, so a great place to grab a late-night snack. My favourite meal I had was an asparagus and mushroom risotto. It was a port day and I had a light lunch on land. I also had a lot of work to catch up on and was hungry. So I plopped myself down, pulled out my laptop and ordered my meal. Within 15 minutes, a steaming bowl of perfectly cooked risotto was placed before me. I don't recall inhaling the dish, but within a few minutes my bowl was empty and my tummy full. For between $10 and $16, it's well worth the extra dollars spent.




Hot Pot 

Again, I didn't have a chance to eat here, but my cruising companions did. It must have been pretty special as one of my fellow journalists returned four times! 

Blue Lagoon




I've saved the best till last. Blue Lagoon is my absolute favourite eatery aboard. It's a hawker-style eatery that also in the walk-though area on Deck 7. (On the opposite side to Mozzarella Ristorante). Open all day and all night, there are dishes ranging from China, Malaysia, Thailand and more. The first night aboard of my New Zealand cruise, due to the midnight sailaway, I was lucky enough to have supper here with Dream Cruises President Mr Michael Goh. Noodles, dumplings and more the meal was utterly scrumptious. 

Over the next 7 nights (and days) whenever I found myself peckish, headed to Blue Lagoon. Prices range from about $8 to $15. Here's a tip: after 11pm, there is a $2 per item menu which includes burgers, steamed buns and soup. 

Oh, and there's dessert and ice cream. A must try is the matcha cheesecake. YUM




I hope you've enjoyed by gastronomic breakdown of all the eateries aboard Explorer Dream. In a nutshell, you will not go hungry and there really is something for everyone. Be adventurous, try something new and take your tastebuds on a dreamy adventure.

PS There are a few other places to grab snacks, cakes and hot drinks around the ship. Everything is made on board and is super fresh. And the coffee is amazing.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments