Bula! Cruising With Honey Is Cruising Fiji

By Cruising With Honey - 15:02


Six hundred and fifty-three days.

Yup, that’s how long I’ve been stuck on land, missing the sea breeze and call of the sirens (or is it the ship horn?)

But, after these long, lonely, days stuck on land, I’m finally going to be back on board a ship. You read that right, I’m CRUISING. Honestly, I can barely believe I’m typing these words. But it’s true, and you’re all coming along with me for the voyage – albeit vicariously. Every meal I take, every beach I bake, every drink I shake, every selfie I retake, you’ll be watching me.

Now, I don’t want to rehash the frustrating rolling ban of cruise ships in Australia – us cruisers are well-aware of the fight all members of the industry have put up since March 2020. So, with no plan to restart cruising in sight, and with Fiji re-opened, a cruise in this island paradise is the perfect solution to fill the void.

Cruising With Honey Is Cruising Fiji


And what a cruise I’ll be taking. Thanks to Captain Cook Cruises Fiji, I’ll be embarking on a 7-night bucket-list cruise, sailing around the Yasawa and Manamuca islands. More about the itinerary later.

With only days to go, I thought I’d share the simple steps Aussies need to take to get to Fiji. I was a bit nervous to plan any travel in this pandemic era, so I’m guessing many of you feel the same way. However, do not get overwhelmed! It’s super simple, there are very few steps. To help me navigate the planning process, Captain Cook Cruises CEO Allison Haworth West lent her expertise.





Who is Allison Haworth West?


I’ve never called myself an expert in ANYTHING, but when it comes to cruising in Fiji, Allison lives and breathes it, so she’s definitely the expert on this matter. Captain Cook Cruises runs in her blood, her knowledge is exceptional and she’s been a part of the company “since a year after I was born!”

“My parents started the original part Captain Cook Cruises on Sydney harbour in 1970 and it grew into also operating in Queensland, South Australia and Fiji before we sold the Australian part of the business in 2011,” she said.

“Since then, Fiji has remained in the family and now it’s just me and my Fiji business partner. The same philosophy lives on – to give people authentic experiences that are all about the destinations and people.”

Let’s travel to Fiji

It seems as is the rules change daily, but as of today (29 December 2021), here are the simple steps to cruise in Fiji.

1. From 1 January, you must present evidence of a negative Covid-19 (RT-PCR) test taken no more than 48 hours prior to departure. (I’m travelling on 3 January in the morning so I will take a test on 1 Jan)

2. Proof of full vaccination at check-in to enter Fiji

3. There is no requirement to wait 48 hours to board a Captain Cook Cruise. Captain Cook is Care Fiji Commitment certified so people can travel on the Day or Dinner Cruise immediately after they land. Importantly, guest can board Reef Endeavour on an overnight cruise straight away.

4. A rapid antigen test will be conducted on boarding.

5. A PCR test will need to be taken before departing FIJI. This can be arranged by Captain Cook Cruises.

Captain Cook Cruise passengers DO NOT have to wait 48 hours after landing to have your post arrival rapid test if you are cruising overnight. Land, do your test and hop on board!


Why take a Captain Cook Cruise


The first (and last time) I went to Fiji was nearly 20 years ago for my Honeymoon. It’s been way too long, and I can’t wait to combine my love of cruising and visiting this incredible destination.

And, in Allison’s eyes, taking a Captain Cook Cruise is the best way to holiday in Fiji.

“You only have to unpack once and then you can spend every morning and afternoon in a new destination, enthralled by the constantly changing beautiful views,” she said.

“The itineraries are packed full of activities like snorkelling, paddling, hiking, ocean swimming, village and school visits, not to mention some extraordinary beginner to advanced PADI 5 Star diving and much more.

“Our Marine Biologists are on hand to guide you on the glass bottom boat and provide on board lectures about the reef. Or perhaps you prefer to visit the Spa and laze on deck with a book or a cocktail. There’s something for everyone.”

She added that the beauty of the Reef Endeavour is that it’s large enough to have many of the facilities found on large ships but still small enough to have the intimacy and manoeuvrable of a smaller boat.

“All age groups are welcome on board [over 5 years-old] and we have a range of activities that suit everyone. Reef Endeavour is perfect for multigenerational families because there is something for everyone,” she said.

“Our passengers are mixed in age but not in mindset - all looking for an interesting, authentic, immersive holiday that will leave them feeling relaxed.

What to expect onboard the Reef Endeavour




I really miss seeing and interacting with the crew during my cruises, and I’ve been told to expect an incredibly warm welcome from the amazing Fijian Crew. On top of this, I’ve been told the food is amazing.

“You will have all the facilities you need to maximise your experience. From a purpose-built hydraulic lift on the stern of the ship that very safely lifts the small boats in and out of the water (with you sitting in them), to dive and snorkelling gear, a swimming pool, bars, sundeck, gym, reef room for marine biology lectures and much more.

“Reef Endeavour was built to cruise in tropical waters so she is perfectly designed for what she does.”

So, what does Allison love most about Captain Cook Cruises?

“This is so hard to answer! Our fabulous Fijian crew are a standout, as are all the wonderful destinations and villages we visit. I love being able to snorkel, paddle, hike, dive, ocean swim, go to the gym, take a dip in the pool and relax,” she said.

There are 3, 4 and 7-night itineraries, and between all the Fijian cruises, Reef Endeavour visits over 90 of Fiji’s islands.

“While I love all our destinations, my number one would of course be our own private island Tivua with its gorgeous white sand and 500 acres of coral.

“Visiting the Blue Lagoon and famous limestone caves are always a favourite of course, but also the amazing and remote Lau Group of islands that are Fiji’s last frontier.”

“A Captain Cook Cruise is authentic, fabulous, adventurous, active, cultural, intimate, natural, happy!”


Disclaimer: Cruising With Honey is travelling as a guest of Captain Cook Cruises and flying aboard Fiji Airways thanks to Tourism Fiji. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments