Alaskan Adventure with Holland America – Day 6

By Cruising With Honey - 14:01



Ketchikan

Bulging biceps, sharp axes and… plaid shirts?


I woke up whistling the tune to Monty Pythons “I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay…”  (this went on for 8 hours. I am a great whistler and whistle ALL the time. I just love it! It took Mr CWH 15 years to tell me he absolutely hates my whistling. So, naturally, I whistled pretty much the whole day in Ketchikan)

Anyway, I digress. 

The sun was shining, the sky was blue and this was our third and last port stop. I’m NOT a fan of salmon (except if it’s baked/grilled), but to be in the salmon capital of the world was a bit of a flex.




We didn’t have any plans but wanted to take it slow and explore. Watch my town tour here

As usual, I had a list to tick off:

Find an American pub (bar) Watch me drink a hard seltzer here
Get a pic in front of the Ketchikan sign
Visit Creek St.



Again, my preconceived ideas about Ketchikan were blown away. We both loved exploring the salmony-scented shops, laughing at the old brothels in Creek St and eating some fish tacos. 

Tacos and Root Beer live stream

I found the BEST shop in Ketchikan, Soaring Eagle! Please visit.





And, probably in an effort to stop my whistling, Mr CWH steered me in the direction of the Lumberjack Show and bought tickets.




In truth, I thought it would be really cheesy – and it was -  but in a good way! The lumberjacks were SO entertaining and very athletic. It was a good ol’ fashioned family show with lot of merriment and audience participation.



I was a little sad to leave, but time does tick on.





Spa splurge

I do not like getting my hair done. Generations of my family have made their career in hairdressing (my grandfather was the hairdresser for the Royal Jordanian family for decades) and the ONLY person that will tolerate my whingeing and whining and fidgeting is my darling sister who gently cuts and colours my hair. My dear sister has sliced her fingers open numerous times cutting my mop, as I just can’t sit still long enough. Sorry Judy.

Anyway, I was given a $70 voucher to use at the spa so I thought I’d get my hair blowdried. The Red Carpet blowdry would be covered with my voucher and with taxes, I was only out of pocket $19. Bargain. My curly mane needed a good treatment and boy was I pampered!

The lovely Bosa washed and massaged and treated and blowdried, transforming my mess into a silky creation. YAY, no more frizz.

Inspired by my do, I put on my fancy sparkly dress ( we were eating at Rudi’s Sel de Mer speciality restaurant tonight – more about that later) and had an impromptu photo shoot on our stateroom verandah. Mr CWH, still had a little patience left ( I had stopped whistling) and obliged.  I must admit, the pics were lovely and I’ll always treasure this moment. Bless.


Funk and more

As we left Rudi’s, I could hear one of my fave funky songs by A Touch of Honey – Boogie, Oogie, Oogie. I raced to the dance floor at BB Kings and had a little boogie on my own. SO MUCH FUN! The band were on fire and it was an electric atmosphere.




After about a half-hour of dancing, I reluctantly slipped off my blue-suede stilettos and walked bare-foot back to our stateroom.

THIS is what I love about cruising; a date with a hairdresser, a photo shoot with the most incredible backdrop, a 5-star dinner, a dance and live music and then a very short walk back to get into bed in luxurious surroundings. Where else can you have all this in one evening? 

I was ALMOST going to start packing, but did not want to break the spell. Tomorrow will be our last day on board and I didn’t want to think about having to return to reality just yet.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments