Alaskan Adventure with Holland America - Day 5

By Cruising With Honey - 14:03


Glacier Bay National Park


Nothing could have prepared me for the crash; no, the ship didn’t hit an iceberg. 

This ‘crash’ was the sound of a small car-sized piece of ice hurtling down from the mammoth glacier only to rudely disturb the blue sea below.

I wasn’t ready for the sound. I wasn’t ready to feel exhilarated. I wasn’t ready to feel so alive.

This was the Alaska I had imagined. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the port stops and all the adventure in discovering a new town, but if truth be told, this morning in Glacier Bay was the epitome of an Alaskan cruise.

A morning of wonder


I decided to sleep in and forego breakfast for ZZZs. What awoke me was Mr CWH on the verandah with his whizz-bang new camera, the normally calm-ish guy totally mesmerised by the wonders before him. Reluctantly, I got out of bed, and wrapping myself in a blanket stepped out to see what the fuss was all about.

OH MY WOW

The icy wonderland of glaciers and churning sea overwhelmed my senses. I didn’t know where to look, fearful I’d miss something. And it was quiet, so serene. 

A few hours earlier, a park ranger had boarded to give a running commentary during our time in Glacier Bay. What a fabulous idea! And, if passengers like us were in their staterooms, we could simply turn on the TV to the Bridge Cam view turn up the volume and hear the interesting narration in our stateroom. This was perfect as we could be alone in this moment on our private aft balcony.

Up close and personal


The beautiful Koningsdam glided into Glacier Bay, getting closer to the rugged landscape than I ever imagine. It reminded me of the fjords in New Zealand – just as magnificent, but different. 

We headed out onto the deck in the drizzle and breathed in the icy air. The silent excitement of the passengers was palpable, but nobody crowded or ‘hogged’ any spots. Everyone was respectful of each others’ space, mindful that we were all sharing in this magical moment.

Closer and closer we went deeper into the National Park, until we were right up near the glorious Margerie Glacier. A silence descended on the decks as all ears were primed, ready to hear the calving of the glacier. 

CRASH! And a spray of water erupted from where the ice-chunk fell. Then, a few minutes later another thundering sound and more sea spray. I almost wanted to clap – and cry, rather a strange reaction now that I think about it. Maybe it was that Mr CWH kept reminding me that all this will not be around in X number of years, maybe it was the sadness that nothing lasts forever – not even these mammoth giants of nature -, or maybe it was the joy to be in this moment and KNOW that life doesn’t stay the same and that every drop of water will continue to live in a one state or another.

In what became quite an existential moment for me came the realisation that I was witness, here in 2022 – to a world that is alive and constantly transforming. In this moment I was merely a micro speck, literally sailing through a sea and land that told the stories of eons past and will continue long after my earthly body disintegrates.

And yet, I was here. Witness to all this. And it was mine, alone, to become part of my life story.

Popping my martini cherry


The rest of the day included eating in the main dining room, Chicken and Waffles (so American, so yum) another stop at the Thermal Suite

 

(yes, I’m a Thermal Suite addict) 

and then what was supposed to be one drink in the Crows Nest  Explorer Bar, became FOUR cocktails with my new friends John, Brent (AKA Tom Selleck) and Heather.

Heather and I soon became besties, and she encouraged me to try a martini. I do love olives, and so I thought, why not? It. Was. Very. Good. 



We laughed and bantered with our fabulous bartenders Julian and Jonathan who loudly proclaimed, every time we ordered a drink, that it was an “EXCELLENT CHOICE”. And, it always was!

Sushi and more



Tamarind was the dinner venue for tonight, and I will elaborate further on this wonderful restaurant. While the food was EXCEPTIONAL, the company was also EXCEPTIONAL. Mr CWH and I were invited to join a handful of Aussie and Kiwi journalists who were on board - amazing people. 

We laughed as Clare re-enacted her stateroom neighbours' hilarious conversations with her ever-patient husband Brian – honestly it should be a soap opera!

Stomachs again overflowing, we did want to stay up and enjoy the live music, but my eyes could hardly stay open a moment longer. 

That night, I dreamed of a time of giant glaciers that were not surrounded by a bay. A world of ice and wilderness where no human dared disturb. A world that is alive and will continue to change with every rotation of the Earth.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments