Cruising the Danube with Viking - Day 1

By Cruising With Honey - 06:37



It’s Cruise Day on Viking

It doesn’t matter how many times I set off on a new cruise adventure, it never loses its lustre.

Behind me, the taxi was coaxing his card machine to accept my payment, but he could have taken off with my card for all I cared; I was stepping aboard my very first river cruise ship, and not any river cruise ship, VIKING!

Without realising, my bags had been whisked away by a Viking crew member as I stood, enthralled with the ship ahead. Despite my desire to run across the gangway, I wanted to absorb this moment.





Slowly I walked down, as there’s only ever a first time, why rush? As I approached, the sliding door opened, and a chorus of voices sang out, “Welcome home, Honey!” Wow, talk about a warm greeting; I almost burst into tears.

Check-in was as simple as handing over my passport. That was it. Moments later, I was in my verandah stateroom.




Home sweet home

First impressions last, so it’s important to make a good one! Viking Egil was bright, fresh, understated. It’s unmistakably Scandinavian in decore, with nuanced features art artworks adorning the walls. Viking-esque axes behind reception, paintings depicting the Viking legend and namesake of the ship Egil and icons on the glass doors. 

The palate is cool; beiges and blonde timber through the ship and pops of deep tangerine and darker chocolates in the public areas. Fresh flowers punctuated the neutral tones.



Spanning three levels, the ship is spacious, modern and inviting. Yes, this will do just fine.

While not all staterooms have verandahs, all have plenty of natural light. The cabin is not massive, but I’ve stayed in smaller, and this was just beautiful with more than enough storage. I particularly love the shower with its double glass doors. 



I never want to cruise again in a bathroom with those icky plastic shower curtains. Shudder.

Meet the team




After a delicious lunch in the Aquavit (more about dining later) we met the effervescent and hilarious Hotel Manager Michael Landmesser and the charming Program Director Anthony Papandrea. 

I don’t know why I thought the cruise would be sedate, the passengers roared with laughter at their ad-lib, making everyone feel relaxed and welcome. 


Another surprise was the passengers. Again, I assumed that they’d be much older, conservative and quieter. How wrong I was. The majority of the passengers were on the more mature side, but they were energetic and lively. 

A martini in the moonlight



As I strolled the top deck, sipping my martini and breathing in the humid air I couldn’t quite believe I was here, in Hungary, on a luxurious cruise. 


I smiled to myself, feeling content and sent a silent prayer, thanking the Danube in advance for the secrets she’ll soon be unveiling to me.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments