Norwegian Prima - A Ship of Stellar Surprises

By Cruising With Honey - 16:25


Norwegian Cruise Line -  Prima

Very rarely in life, does the hype live up to the expectation. And with a name such as Prima, the hype was certainly quite inflated. 

As I boarded my first of two flights that would sling-shot me thousands of kilometres from Sydney to Galveston, Texas, my mind was filled with the multicoloured images of Norwegian’s newest floating marvel. Racetracks and infinity pools, super slides and Broadway shows, fine dining and luxurious retreats. The bubbles of excitement started to build, (settle, settle, you still have 22 hours of flying ahead of you).

Is bigger better?



I’ve sailed smaller ships and even largest cruise ship in the world, modern and more traditional, but when we pulled into the port of Galveston, the sheer size and design of Norwegian Prima literally made me audibly gasp. 

Not only was she an imposing size (so it’s true things are bigger in Texas?), but the ultra-modern sleek design cut a striking, futuristic shape against the morning sunlight. Prima looked nothing like any other ship I’d sailed on, and from what I could see from the outside, I was already impressed.

Bright lights and blue hues




There’s nothing like that flurry of excitement of boarding a ship with 2500 other joyous cruisers, and I happily moved through the terminal in this sea of people and stepped aboard to catch my first glimpse of my home for the next four days.


Immediately, I was stunned by the bright lights, stunning blue décor and very modern design. I was eager to head to my cabin and hurried to the lifts to my balcony cabin on Deck 16. Let me tell you about these lifts though; the mirror was embellished by a thousand lights giving the impression of a million dazzling stars.

Stunning Stateroom



I was expecting a nice cabin but walking into my home for the next four days, I was very very impressed. The colour scheme was cool and elegant, the walls adorned with a beautiful mural (I was told each room has a unique mural) resplendent with crystals and butterflies, the perfect images to inspire dreams. 

Lots of storage and USB ports, but the standouts for me? The huge bathroom – especially the large shower with real glass shower screen - and the balcony furniture. Forget about the standard chairs, Prima has recliner lounges that are so comfortable, I fell asleep numerous times admiring the sea views.




For those Eagle Eyes who watched my cabin photos and noticed the L’Occitane products, these delicious body products are not a standard feature, but exclusive to the Spa Balcony stateroom I was in. 


A New Class of Ship

Before getting the chance to truly explore this sparkling new ship (Prima was launched in Iceland in August 2022), a media briefing with President and CEO Harry Sommer was the perfect introduction to Norwegian (being my first time experiencing the brand) and to provide an overview of Prima. Harry – who was almost bursting with pride – explained the novel features of Prima, including the most outdoor deck space of any new cruise ship, not only on the main pool deck, but also on the 360 degree Deck 8 Ocean Boulevard. 





As Harry rattled on all the food options and multitude of features, I became slightly panicked I wouldn’t be able to experience all Prima had to offer.

“Ah-hem… Excuse Mr Sommer, but what is the ONE thing not to miss aboard Prima?”

“Definitely the Donna Summer show.”

And, making a mental note, to make sure I take the President’s advice I decided I had to watch the show, despite having only four nights on Prima. I assumed it was going to be good, but was it really that mind-blowing that it was the ONE feature of this fabulous ship the president of the line said I mustn’t miss? Again, my assumption that the show was going to be good, was utterly wrong.

Food glorious food


The number of food and beverage venues about Prima made me feel nervous. Why might you ask? I had only four days aboard and, by my calculations 12 meals to have. How could I possibly try every eatery and bar? It was a challenge that I was willing to accept! While I didn’t indulge in every eatery, here is a rundown of my experiences.

Speciality restaurants

There are several, including Greek fare at Palomar Mediterranean seafood restaurant, Teppanyaki at Hasuki, Le Bistro French cuisine and Italian restaurant Onda by Scarpetta Italian. I was lucky enough to have two speciality dining experiences and both were fabulous in their own right.

Onda by Scarpetta

When a meal starts with the most luxuriously, silky Burrata, you just know you’d better loosen your belt! Drizzled in balsamic and surrounded by curls of prosciutto, this starter was delectably indulgent and executed very well indeed. The cheese was mild and paired perfectly with the basil, fresh tomato and cured ham.

Next up, a decadent lobster linguine that was mouth-watering. Nothing beats freshly made pasta – and it always amazes me what the chefs can create on board. And to crown the evening’s meal was a decadent tiramisu that had just the right amount of coffee. I’m looking forward to sampling other meals at Onda by Scarpetta as this eatery will be on board Norwegian Spirit.



(I will be aboard Spirit as she travels Down Under for her Australian Season. I’m joining in Papeete, Tahiti on 9 December for 8 days and disembarking in Suva, Fiji on 16 December. Norwegian Spirit arrives in Sydney on 20 December and will be sailing around Australia and New Zealand until she leaves on her return voyage 28 March, 2023.


Le Bistro 

I’m a sucker for French cuisine (I will make it to France one day) and I was mesmerised as soon as I stepped into the beautiful restaurant. A massive chandelier set an ambiance of luxury and decadence, the décor very chic and very French.



First up, a massive bowl of slurpy Onion Soup. Authentic and flavoursome, it could not be faulted. Duck with orange sauce was tasty, but I was a little disappointed (only slightly) with the texture of the bird. But honestly, this is me being very critical. Dessert was extravagant and I polished off every mouthful of the Marquee au Chocolat which was drizzled with a Chambord Raspberry sauce. Is there any better match than dark chocolate and raspberry?

Complimentary dining

From the main dining rooms to the Food Hall, the options were seemingly endless – four days certainly was not long enough to try all, but I gave it a good crack.

Indulge Food Hall 

If you have trouble choosing one cuisine or one dish, then Indulge Food Hall is perfect! As you enter the hall, a plethora of mini-restaurants and food trucks over dishes from around the world. Feel like a taco? Bam, it’s delivered straight to your table. How about a fragrant curry in a hurry? Boom, you’re digging into some spicy food. 
I absolutely loved the concept as I could try dishes from multiple restaurants at one sitting. The best part is the ordering. Each table has an Ipad-type device loaded with all the dishes. You simply select what you want – as much as you want – and within minutes it’d delivered straight to your table. It’s like the Uber Eats of the Seas!

The Local Bar and Grill

Chicken wings, pretzel bites, burgers, Reuben sandwiches – bar food with an American flavour. Very casual bar experience with the perfect food to hoe down on while enjoying a cold drink and watching the game on the big screen. 

Hudson’s



One of the two main dining rooms ( the other The Commodore Room), this modern and bright space was my favourite place for breakfast – although I did have lunch and dinner here as well so that I could enjoy the stunning wake view from the 270-degree views from the floor to ceiling windows. Everything was tasty and fresh, but my favourite would have to be the burgers and the grilled salmon. As cruise ship main dining rooms go, this one would have to be in my Top 3 of all time.

Surfside Cafe and Grill (aka Buffet)

Fresh, vibrant, tasty and so, so, so many selections to choose from. I grabbed lunch and breakfast here a few times and was very impressed with the set up. I was particularly impressed with the high quality of the food, with many dishes cooked to order. The dessert station was to die for, my favourite indulgence was the chocolate bark. Many of the offerings changed daily so there was no fear in having the same dishes over and over.

Bars and bars

Did you know there are 12 different bars aboard Prima? Every time I turned a corner, I was surprised with another funky, cool drinking place. I couldn’t try all of them, but my favourites were the Belvedere Bar, an intimate spot that transports you to the 1930s where the most appropriate libation to order is a martini and the Waves Pool Bar (Deck 17), a great place to listen to live music, check out the big screen or simply people watch while soaking up the sun.

Ship-within-a-Ship


Every ship has a VIP or more indulgent area/cabins, and it seems this Ship-within-a-Ship concept is getting more popular and more extravagant as newer ships are launched. It’s for guests who still want the cruise on large ships, but have their own intimate space – in a more private manner.

On Norwegian Prima, The Haven is your next-level experience which features exclusive outdoor areas, restaurants, butler service and even its own lifts. 



I had a quick tour of the concierge, outdoor areas and a cabin, and I can report it was all very, very nice. The areas were quiet, serene and private. If you want to have that super-special experience – maybe for a honeymoon or special occasion – The Haven is for you.

Super fun on board 


Super drop slides, water slides, arcade games, virtual reality, putt putt and more! There are so many exciting and unique features, one would be hard-pressed to get to everything. Young and old (if you’re cruising with your offspring, I can almost guarantee you won’t see much of them as they’ll be too busy having fun) will have a ball. But, the ultimate for me was the Prima Speedway! I’d never driven a go-kart, and to drive around a triple deck 420m track was exhilarating! 

Entertainment

 
I’ll be honest, a short cruise was just not enough time to see much entertainment, but walking past venues that hosted comedy and music that were bursting at the seams, I could tell it was all very enjoyable.  I did stick my head into the Syd Norman Pourhouse where the Fleetwood Mac show was on and was very impressed by the band. It was standing room only and I was tired, so I made a reluctant retreat. I wish I’d stayed.

Kelly Clarkson

How lucky was I to be onboard this special sailing which hosted 100 ‘Giving Joy’ teacher contest winners. As part of this exclusive sailing, a special concert by Texan multi-award winning artist Kelly Clarkson blew the roof the ship! 


Donna Summer musical - Summer

NCL CEO and President told me not to miss this. I’m so glad I heeded his advice. I could write 2000 words on this sensational production ( and I got to meet some of the stars of the show the next day), but for now, I’ll sum it up with these nine words: The best show I have ever seen at sea.


Say Spa-aaaaah


I was very lucky to be given access to the Thermal Suite and I certainly made very good use of my whole-voyage pass. The thermal pools (yes two) soothed my sore muscles, the Salt Therapy Room rejuvenated, the Snow room reinvigorated, and the various steam and sauna spaces transported me to bliss.



The lounge areas were so relaxing that I fell asleep TWICE and the whole area was designed for utter relaxation. I’ve been super lucky to experience many Thermal Suites this year, and Prima’s (so far) takes prime position. It’s be hard to find another as amazing at sea or on land.

When you are onboard, trust me and buy at least a day pass. 


Prima certainly lived up to the hype

Even before stepping aboard, I just knew Prima would be a different experience; new, exciting and classy. Sometimes, with new ships, you get all the fancy bells and whistles, the technology, the fun activities, but other areas such as décor or cabins or even restaurants are lacking.

Prima had it all.

She exceeded my expectations. 

As my first time on a Norwegian ship, I can see why the brand has a cult following. There’s a certain feel that seems as if NCL endeavours to keep pushing that envelope, to see how much more they can elevate the cruise experience without going too far and becoming overwhelming.

There’s so much more I can write about this fabulously designed ship, but I’ll leave some things for you to discover on your own. 



Norwegian Prima - Stats at a glance

143,535                 Gross Register Tonnage
3099                      Capacity double occupancy
294m                     Overall Length
41m                       Max Beam
2022                      Year Built
1506                      Ship Crew


Cruising With Honey was aboard NCL Prima for the inaugural 4-night sailing from Galveston, Texas. Prices start from AUD$1,820 /NZD$2,000 per person for a 7-Day cruise on Norwegian Prima to Caribbean: Harvest Caye, Cozumel & Roatan on 26 January 2024. 
Fares include NCL’s popular Free at Sea bonus offers such as a complimentary beverage package, shore excursion credit, specialty dining package, wi-fi package and access to NCL's 3rd and 4th guest sail at a reduced rate. Taxes and gratuities are also included.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments