MSC

MSC Cruises World Europa – Day 1

By Cruising With Honey - 22:00



MSC Cruises World Europa – Day 1


Breathing in the hot, desert winds, I looked up, straining my neck to see the curves of this mirage before me. 

Glowing in the inky Arabian night, MSC Cruises World Europa beckoned me to board. I turned my head from bow to stern, my eyes tracing the length of the ship in an effort to see the entire vessel from the terminal, yet failing to absorb the whole image. It dawned on me that my home for the next week was going to take a long time to explore – and I was excited for the challenge.

Doha, Qatar

It had been a more than three decades since I’d been in the Middle East, and to reconnect to a land that ran deep in my veins was enticing. In my younger years I’d spent time in Jordan with brief stops in the Emirates, but to be in a place where my first language is spoken, the food that is connected to core memories was served and where the culture of hospitality comes before all else, was such unique gift. Let me tell you, when the invite came to join the MSC family to welcome World Europa to the fleet, my acceptance was faster than speed lightning But, more about Qatar later…

Ascending the escalator 




I’ve been on new ships, but never NEW new. Not so new that every step I take, or cup I drink out of, or seat I plop down on that I think, “I could be the first one drinking from this cup” new.

After a seamless check-in from the brand new (new, new) terminal, crossing the gangway and then taking an escalator to reception, I stood in the foyer, literally agog. I didn’t know whether to look up at the mammoth sparkling crystal chandelier, the shiny balustrades, or the LCD screen on the ceiling where whales leisurely swam by. 

Rich blues accented by silver filled my eyes as I spotted a chocolate shop, a music venue, a champagne bar in a quick sweep. My heart started racing, but my internal voice calmed me “You’ll get to all of this, all in good time, Honey – you have a week. Now get to your cabin”.  Trance-like I nodded, followed the friendly crew who ushered me to the closest lift to take me up, up, up to Deck 16 to my awaiting chamber.

Never before slept in bed


Swinging open my balcony cabin door was exactly what I imagined it would feel like if you won a new house and you were the first to step inside. I was the first ever guest to walk on the carpet, open the wardrobe and hang my clothes, slide open the balcony door and use the bathroom (and its throne!). 




Naturally, the first thing to do was to launch myself on the bed and giggle like an out-of-control toddler. This was going to be epic.

First impressions



It was past 9 pm when I ventured out from my cabin to explore the ship. World Europa was virtually empty.  The naming ceremony was still three days away and more guests would be arriving from all over the world shortly. I kind of liked it, if I was to be honest. I headed up to Deck 18 to drink in Doha’s futuristic skyline and see the main pool. Huge and surrounded by light, the pool glistened, and I was tempted to jump straight in, fully clothed. 

Walking around the pool, heading aft, I climbed the amphitheatre-style steps and, at every landing was surprised with another jacuzzi. Larger spas were on the upper outdoor decks and I honestly lost count at the number of swimming spots as walked up, down and around the decks. 




Down back on Deck 18, there was yet another pool – the Botanic Garden Pool that featured a retractable roof, two massive hot tubs, hammocks, lounges and more. I felt as if I was in a luxurious green house. Oh my!

World Promenade of Dreams


As I grabbed an ice cream (pistachio) from the bar on Deck 18 (there are several places to grab a scoop, so this cruise is a dream for ice cream addicts), I decided to head down to the World Promenade - aft Deck 8. The super-fast zoomy lifts had me down in a jiffy and I walked back out into the sultry air.




Again, I had this tremendously designed area all to myself. It had the feeling of a top-end outdoor mall – at Christmas. On either side were high-end luxury goods stores, a coffee emporium (yes, they roast their own beans), a seafood market/restaurant, a cigar/whisky lounge and an ice cream/crepe/frozen yogurt bar. 

Making my way to the very end, I looked out through the heat haze at this foreign city, wondering what treasures I was to uncover.

Turning around, I looked up at the Venom Drop that slithered down the middle of the promenade, all the way from Deck 22 and wondered if I was brave enough to attempt the largest dry slide at sea. Time will tell. 

The World Promenade was illuminated with thousands of lights that changed colour every few minutes, creating a light show just for me.

Pinching myself just hard enough to ensure this wasn’t all a dream, I returned to my cabin, eager to get some sleep and wake the next day to explore the wonders of World Europa.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments