Created By The Gods. Norwegian Spirit arrives in Bora Bora

By Cruising With Honey - 17:58

Norwegian Spirit - Day 3 in Bora Bora 

When a place literally translates into, "created by the gods" then you just know you’ve discovered a little secret paradise. 

After the spectacular day in Moorea yesterday, I was hoping Bora Bora would be just as wonderful - but I didn’t want to be greedy, if you know what I mean. So, my mindset was that whatever today had in store was a bonus.

Don’t forget your reef shoes!


The shore excursion for the morning was all about spending a day on a private beach, so jumping aboard yet another boat, we jetted off across the lagoon. This was all part of the adventure, the journey and not just the destination, and as the wind whipped tendrils of hair around my face, I lost myself in the myriad of colours filling my eyes. 



We passed tourists on jet skis laughing and enjoying the thrill, other smaller vessels setting off for snorkelling adventures and then those iconic over-water bungalows that jutted out from the blue water with a regal air. One day, I promised myself, I’ll stay in one of those luxury hotels.




Soon in enough, I clambered out, barefoot in the shin-deep water and ‘OUCH OUCH OUCH!” I had made the rookie error of forgetting my reef shoes, and the millions of pieces of billion-year-old coral dug into my soles. I ouchied my way to the sand trying to avoid any cuts and scrapes.

The smiley tattooed-up Polynesian tour guide, who I found out later lives on this island/beach, instructed us where we were to enjoy the day and then disappeared into the greenery, promising to round us up by blowing his conch (I did find him later cutting up some fruit for us to enjoy on our return trip). So sweet!




Despite the pain I’d have to face hopping and skipping over the coral and shells, the pull of the water was too great, and I dove into the crystal-clear healing ocean where I stayed for what seemed like an eternity. The tall volcanic-style green mountains created a backdrop
of lush beauty as I floated in complete and utter satisfaction.




Before leaving, I wandered around the beach and discovered a swing set up among the trees. Naturally, I had an impromptu photo shoot! 

Did I just dream it or were those crabs real?





The weather was turning, and a light rain set in. As I sat on the bus for my second shore excursion of the day ready to tour the island (I did spend a few hours back aboard the Norwegian Spirit after the beach), fatigue enveloped me. I fought it hard, and somehow stayed awake to have ONE sip of a very spicy Bloody Mary at the famous pub Bloody Marys. 




But the slow rattle of the bus and the soothing voice of the tour guide sent me swiftly into la la land. 

Abruptly, the bus came to a halt. I was in a deep reverie, and it wasn’t until much later when I recounted this strange dream to one of my lovely travelling buddies that she confirmed that this bizarre encounter was not a dream, but that it actually happened! 

Let me paint you a picture. In what I thought was a dream but in fact was real, the bus came to a stop and pulled over to the side of the road. The rain was pelting and coming into the bus in slated drops. The tour guide asked as all to take the bunches of flowers that adorned the windows around the bus and to throw them out the window. It was a weird request, but I thought it might be a tradition or to honour someone who’d passed, but I was very wrong on both counts.




As the passengers started throwing this bright hibiscus flowers out of one side of the bus, there was some kind of … movement in the scrub on the side of the road. Remember, I thought I was dreaming. A few moments later, alien like crusty arms started emerging from the ground, then a hard shell. Taking tentative side-ways steps, these crabs headed towards the strewn flowers and started pulling them back into their hideaway holes. More and more appeared, some fighting for the floral treats in a peculiar crustacean tug-of-war. Now, imagine me watching this all while still believing it was all dream, looking on with a goofy smile on my face, thinking at any moment I’d wake up. Somehow, I sat back down in my seat, totally oblivious to the reality.

Pandemic sadness

Now you all know I like to keep it light and positive, but for the parts of the Bora Bora Island tour I was awake for, was rather sad. Many of the swish, luxury hotels were abandoned, run-down shells. Many completely vacant, some almost demolished. One very famous hotel resort had been purchased by a wealthy developer just before the pandemic hit with the goal of completely refurbishing, but now lay dormant and overgrown by vegetation. I don’t know the exact percentages of hotels and resorts that went under, but it was a large portion of properties. I truly hope that with travel resuming and tourists returning, that Bora Bora will rebuild and shine once more.

Chinese food hit the spot


It had been a big day, and I just couldn’t shake the sleepiness, so after yet another nap, dinner time was a late affair. If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll know I love Asian food, so tonight I was looking forward to dining at Silk.


Described as an Asian Fusion restaurant and located on Deck 8, (Aft) Silk  - a complimentary eatery – was set in the same space as two other speciality restaurants, Sushi Bar (a la carte) and Teppanyaki ($49pp). I actually thought this was a great idea, creating its own Asian food precinct on the ship. 



The food was good, but not my favourite and probably geared towards an American palate (quite sweet and salty), but the service was impeccable and their signature cocktails potent and interesting. 

Time to slow down


For the third time that day, fatigue took hold, and my eyelids were heavy. It had been a very busy four days and I was longing to having two whole days at sea and appreciate all the Norwegian Spirit had to offer at a much slower pace. As I drifted into a lovely slumber, I wasn’t sure if I’d dream about flower-munching crabs, but I knew that nothing my brain could conjure up during the night would be any where near as bizarre or surreal.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments