Samoan Sojourn - Last Port Call Aboard Norwegian Spirit Adventure

By Cruising With Honey - 21:08





Samoa - Day 6

 
Dulcet harmonies carried across from Apia, as I stood transfixed in the warm night on the open deck. The notes carried by the light breeze filled my ears with a peaceful melody, and I strained to recognise the music emanating from the Cathedral. In that Samoan sunset, watching the vast sky turn deeper shades of denim, I smiled and was filled with such joy.


The last port stop





Day 6 and the last post stop for me on this cruise. Well, there was one more port stop, Lautauka Fiji on Day 8 but I’d be disembarking there and flying home to Sydney. The cruise would be continuing on to Sydney where the Norwegian Spirit is due to arrive on 21 December.

Apia was a was walk-off port and I headed off for stroll. My shore excursion wasn’t until the afternoon, and I was keen to explore. 

I didn’t get far. Only to the end of the terminal (which was beautifully decorated with local flowers) where smiley Samoans greeted me with a hearty, friendly “Talofa!”  The day was so hot and sticky and it was quite a walk into town, so my solo adventure was short-lived.

Exploring Samoa




A few hours later, I hopped on the air-conditioned bus and headed off on the tour of the capital Apia. 

First stop was the local markets where I was itching to buy some local fruits and veggies, but what could I do with the produce? Sigh, I'll just have to eat with my eyes.




Second stop was the homestead – and now museum - of famous Scottish novelist Robert Louis Stevenson – of Treasure Island and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde acclaim. The relationship between the Samaon people and this Scottish writer is fascinating. 




The third stop was to visit the home of Samoan legend Aggie Grey Her family welcomed us into their home and offered an array of traditional Samoan food – including some of the luscious fruit I’d seen earlier at the markets.

As we were ahead of schedule, we had just enough time to make a quick pitstop at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral. Now I’ve seen a lot of churches and holy places in Europe this year, but this was something totally unique. The Roman Catholic place of worship intertwined the Catholic faith with the local culture to create a place that reflected both so artistically. I wish I could have attended a service there, could you just imagine the music?



Fire dancing 

As I was getting ready for dinner, I heard a beat, rhythmic and calling me to step out on to my stateroom balcony. The Norwegian Spirit had not left as yet, and as I looked out at the terminal, I saw a fire dancer twirling his flaming sticks in time to a drummer. It was mesmerising and I thought at that moment where else in the world could you witness this while on a cruise ship!

Thinking about my day on this tiny group of islands in the south pacific, the smiles and warmth of the Samoans kept circling in my mind’s eye. I now get why people around the world are drawn to the Samoan spirit. It’s kind of like being drawn into the softest embrace where all your troubles cease to exist. I suppose that's why they call her, the Cradle of Polynesia. Faafetai Sa’moa!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments