Polar Plunge and Emperor Penguins - Swan Hellenic

By Cruising With Honey - 15:16


Australia Day in Tay Head, Antarctica  

The first time you see a penguin in the wild, your first reaction is to squeal at their impossible cuteness. You are careful not to get too close and observe from afar. They seem unperturbed by human presence and go along their merry way. 

As I landed on Tay Head I wasn’t really sure what I’d see and I was excited to explore. The rocky headland was easier for me to navigate as the ground wasn’t covered in a thick layer of snow. 

The now familiar sound of penguin squawks was intense – the loudest protests coming from fat, fluffy chicks who were haranguing their mama “FEED ME”. The annoyed mama-penguins were being chased by these insatiable babies, waddling away with such speed in an effort to escape the naughty toddlers. 




Giggling to myself, I stood for a long time observing this relating to one very annoyed mum who had THREE fluffs chasing her. It reminded me of my own experience as a mum – having had three children in under three years – and (sometimes) getting to the point where I just wanted to run away. Isn’t it amazing how despite the fact we are different species, the experience of parenthood transcends all else.



Beaching Seals


Observing the penguins rush to and fro, parading up and down the beach for what seemed like hours, I almost missed spotting the Weddell Seals. The terrain was rocky and dark, and it was only when I saw a large, lumpy ‘rock’ move did I notice that this was in fact a seal! As I adjusted my eyes, I spotted another, then another! 




The penguins moved around them in their silly busy manner while these giant puppies of the sea yawned, stretched and scratched. Careful to keep a very safe distance as instructed, I zoomed my camera in to their smiley faces. 

Amazed that I was actually here, one seal then decided to make his way to the beach, caterpillar-ing his way to the water. How was he propelling his hefty mass in so quickly? I inched back, marvelling at this sight.


Does the Emperor need new clothes?


At every landing, Swan Hellenic expedition crew are never far away, giving very clear instructions on where to walk and what to explore. I walked around Tay Head, snapping my camera at all the beauty. Looking up, I noticed Expedition Leader AJ standing very still, pointing his long camera lens at another lump in the distance.

“Anything interesting?” I asked. AJ looked at me with a huge smile, his excitement palpable.

“See that penguin?” He pointed in the distance.

“Umm, you mean that lump? Isn’t it a seal?” I replied, straining my eyes.

“No, no! It’s a juvenile Emperor! We were told there might be one, but we never imagined we’d find or see it.”

As my eyes adjusted, I saw a rotund, grey and white penguin, just chilling and minding his own business. I’m pretty sure he had no idea the hubbub he was causing. This VERY rare sighting was indeed another moment this extraordinary cruise offered. Some of the expedition crew had done four seasons in Antarctica and never spotted a juvenile Emperor. Wow, just WOW! No-one knew where he came from or what he was doing there, but the hope is he’ll find his way back to his friends soon.

A Lamington by any other name

A surprise was waiting for me back on board.  It was Australia Day and I had taken my little clip-on Koala on expedition with me. As I grabbed some lunch, I was completely taken aback at the sweet offerings – LAMINGTONS. Yes, the crew had misspelled the little cakes, but WHO cares? I gobbled one down, thought about my county and thanked the Pastry Chef profusely for bringing a little piece of Australia on aboard SH Vega.

The Polar Plunge

Cold water and Honey are not friends. We are sworn enemies. I will not enter a beach or swimming pool unless the temperature is above 20 degrees Celsius. So, what the freakity-freak was I doing in my swimsuit, teetering on the edge of a cruise ship about to submerge myself into almost FREEZING water?

About an hour before this incredibly terrifying moment, it was announced that a Polar Plunge would indeed take place in the Weddell Sea. Excited passengers zoomed by me in the corridor, wrapped in fluffy bathrobes to dunk themselves in the Antarctic waters. I smiled nervously as they passed, telling them I’d think about it.


I really don’t know how I found myself in my cozzie, slippers and bathrobe, walking down to Base Camp and signing the waiver. I blame expedition crew member Stefano, his mischievous eyes goading me, “How could you NOT do the plunge? You’re a cruise blogger, aren’t you?”

Ugh, he shamed me into agreeing. Thanks Stefano.


So there I was, watching guests of all ages take the leap. And then, I couldn’t avoid it – I was next. The safety cord was tied around my waist, I was told to jump to left due to the current and look for the safety boat which had a photographer on board to capture the moment.

I took a deep breath, heard the cheers “You can do it Honey” and JUMPED. 

In a millisecond I was submerged in the icy depths, the cold consuming every cell of my being. I was underwater, the crystal-clear water filling my eyes with the most extraordinary sight. Green and peaceful. A millisecond later, my head bobbed up and I was swimming toward the ship.


I scrambled to get back on board, the sting of cold finally hitting my senses. Every nerve ending was on fire, starting at my feet and travelling at lightning speed up my extremities.

Cheers erupted as I started up the ladder, then a bathrobe thrown onto my body and towel wrapping my head and a shot of something clear and strong thrust into my hand.




It was by far the most exhilarating moment of my entire life. As adrenalin coursed through my body, I thought of the regret I’d have felt if I hadn’t jumped.

I live by the motto, ‘Say yes to every opportunity'. You never know when you’ll get the chance to ever have that moment again. Forget fear, forget ego. Take the leap, or in this case, take that plunge!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments