MSC

Land of the Trolls - Ålesund, Norway

By Cruising With Honey - 03:01


Welcome to the Land of the Trolls - Ålesund, Norway MSC Euribia - Port Day 2

Languages excite me and I’m always fascinated by new words and new sounds. And, on my travels I always try my best to learn a few words when visiting a new country. I can get by in French, a little Italian, Spanish and Croatian and fluent in Arabic BUT Scandinavian languages are completely foreign to me. While they’re written in the modern Latin Alphabet, the phonemes are very different.




So, on arrival in Ålesund - the second port stop - I kept repeating the correct way to say the town's name - ULLEYSUN. Apparently, the etymology of this town comes from the Old Norse, meaning ‘eel straight’. That’s enough word-nerding for one day.





I didn’t see any eels on my stroll, but many, many trolls. These aren’t the cute, rainbow-coloured haired pixies of Hollywood, but frizzy-haired frightful beings with bulbous noses and popping eyes. 




They all seem old, which made me wonder if there are troll babies or if they’re born old or maybe all the trolls are incredibly ancient and have lived for centuries. Move on, Honey, stop hyper-fixating on trolls!




Once again, I didn’t book any shore excursions, preferring to meander the town and explore on my own. Built on seven islands and surrounded by the Sunnmore Alps, I just loved the cobblestone streets and colourful Art Nouveau architecture. It was a drizzly, grey day, but somehow the wet weather enhanced the beauty of this sea port town.

Jumping on the Carousel


It had been go-go-go for nearly a week, and after a few hours in port, I was craving to sit in a comfy lounge and maybe have a few cheeky cocktails. The perfect spot? Carousel Lounge, Deck 7, aft. This bright venue was delightful. 



The Big Band was rehearsing, the sunlight was streaming in through the floor-to-ceiling windows and the drinks were DELICIOUS. On every ship I sail on, I look for a place to write and unwind. Here on Euribia, I found my 'spot' in Carousel.

MSC the cruiseline of languages


Okay, I did say I had enough word-nerding for one day, but I have to share something I really love about cruising on MSC. Every crew member speaks multiple languages. I believe the requirement is four, which is mind-blowing. Maybe it’s normal for Europeans to be fluent in multiple language, but as an Australian it’s so impressive. 

I love hearing the Captain’s announcement over the PA in English, Italian, French, Spanish, German and being greeted by fellow passengers with an “Ola”, “Ciao” or “Bonjour.”



Maybe we can all learn a lesson from cruising. So often, differences divide, but when we’re at sea, despite the language barriers, somehow the sea air unites. Humans learn to interact, even if they’re speaking another tongue. If a ship is a microcosm of the ultimate society, then it’s the kind I wish to belong.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments