MSC

Fjord at First Sight - Hellesylt

By Cruising With Honey - 00:05



Day 3 Aboard MSC Cruises Euribia - First Port Stop, Hellesylt, Norway

The roar of the waterfall could be heard from the top deck where I was busy snapping pics of this quaint Norwegian town, whose 298 residents lived in want seemed like a page out of a fairytale.





I had risen early to get the first glimpse of Hellesylt, the towering mountains rising from either side of Storfjorden fjord like living tree-covered giants, guarding the sacred water. It shimmered in tones of silver, Euribia’s wake tracing ripples in the glassy sea.


“Breathe in Honey, inhale this moment, etch it in your memory,” I reminded myself.





Chasing churches and waterfalls




I was eager to head to the churning, rolling waterfall, terrifying and enticing all at once, I longed to be close its energy. Hellesyltfosse, divides the town in half and is sandwiched between two bridges. 

As I anticipated, all the cruise ship passengers were eager to be photographed in front of the fall, and why would you come all this way and not snap a selfie? Armed with my tripod, I set my timer and snap, snap, snap I got my HoneyJump, my signature pic that stamps my bingo 'I was here' card.




Next stop, the picturesque church, a little hike up the hill. Built in 1858, not only was Sunnylven church and its garden charming – the church was not open for visitors – it was a great vantage point to see the gorgeous Euribia, nestled comfortably in the fjord.




On I went to the top of the waterfall to view the opposite perspective of the lower bridge. It was utterly mesmerising and I couldn’t help but wonder that this water has been flowing for millennia and will continue to do so for eons into the future.



Fast and the fjord-ious


I hadn’t planned on a shore excursion, but my host Leisa had generously planned one for me to experience, a fast-boat tour right into the fjord!





Climbing into the saddle-like seats, we were expertly manoeuvred by our tour guide into the fjord. This wasn’t so bad, it’s quite tame, I thought to myself. But, I spoke too soon! Once we were cleared of the shore, Uri gunned the 600HP boat and ZOOM were off. Luckily the wet-weather gear provided kept me perfectly dry, but I didn’t dare try to film the tour. 

Honey’s phone goes overboard and it’d be the end of her adventures (well, almost).





Captain Uri was talented and entertaining, getting the vessel up close to the waterfalls and sharing fascinating details about the fjord. Would you believe, a pod of porpoises played alongside our boat – what luck!


Noble Norway


I had every intention to stay up and watch a show, but after a hot shower, I sat on my balcony and watched the ship slowly inch away from Hellesylt. Eyes heavy, mind at ease, I skipped dinner to dream of the resilient Norwegian fishermen who braved the elements and battled the sea monsters to forge a life in the formidable fjords.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments