A Journey from Antiquity to the Middle Ages - Rhodes

By Cruising With Honey - 18:11


A Journey from Antiquity to the Middle Ages - Rhodes

Cruising and travelling in the off-peak season has many benefits, the main is that you won’t have crowds of tourists. 

In my wildest dreams, however, I never imagined that my daughter and I would be the ONLY people at the spectacular Acropolis of Athena in Lindos on the Greek island of Rhodes.


Let me explain.

Rhodes and the Temple of Athena




It was Day 6 aboard my three continent cruise with Celestyal and today the destination was Rhodes. I don’t know which god or goddess of weather was looking down upon us, but the weather the entire cruise was nothing short of spectacular. Beautiful sunshine, light breezes and no rain. Today in Rhodes was no exception.

This was my second time on this picturesque island, but unlike my first time in May 2022 where there were eleventy-hundred keen tourists, this time it was almost barren of humans.

Arriving in Lindos, our tour group was the only one visiting the famous archaeological site. In peak times, this small fishing village is super popular due to its breathtaking beaches and coastline.





After climbing up 300 stone steps to the citadel, the stunning coastline showed off below. Gosh it was gorgeous. Our group numbered less than 20 and after taking obligatory photos and videos, all descended back to the village.


Not me and not my history-besotted daughter. Here we stood, alone, in the streaming sunshine among the intricately carved temple columns, the birthplace of the cult of Athena. It was perfectly silent except for the distant sound of the lapping waves below. Never could I have even dreamed up an exquisite experience such as this.




Meandering the Medieval City


Having had our fill in Lindos, the tour continued to the Medieval City of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.



 Once again, this was my second time here, and once again much less crowded.


The city, which was occupied by the The Order of St John of is surrounded by a 4-km wall. Rich in history, the town is a preserved insight into the past. A definite standout is the Street of the Knights, a cobblestone avenue that once was lined with the houses of the knights.




If you love history and architecture, the city is filled with examples of a time long ago. Almost haunting, it exudes the power of the Middle Ages.


Back aboard the Journey


There was only one more day after this one and I was keen to get back aboard Celestyal Journey. This week was zooming past so quickly I was yet to see so much on board - and I was looking forward to the show tonight, Hellenic Voyage. 

The show, was a trip into Hellenic folk traditions and was a highly polished production. Cruise Director Teresa kept all the passengers in stitches with her quick wit. Most passengers got in to the spirit of the theme, dressing in the Greek colours of blue and white.

As the night came to and end, I realised that tomorrow was our last day. Was it time to pack yet? Not quite. That would signal the end of this amazing cruise, and I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to the Journey just yet.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments