Exploring the Murray River and Beyond - Day 2 Murray River Paddlesteamers

By Cruising With Honey - 18:28

Day 2 - PS Emmylou Murray River Paddlesteamers - Echuca



Breaking fast 


I’m not a huge breakfast person, but whenever I’m on a cruise, I always make time for a sit down meal and take my time to get the day started in an unhurried manner.

And that’s exactly how Day 2 aboard Emmylou kicked off. 

Before retiring the night before, the super lovely Host Julie was happy to take my order at night or I could decide in the morning. I knew I wouldn't know what I felt like until the next day, so I opted for the latter.

On getting up and heading to the Saloon (the main dining area) I filled out my little order slip, but as always, my eyes eat more than my stomach.




Ham and Cheese croissant? Check. Tomato, spinach, bacon? Check, check, check. Hash brown? CHECKITY- CHECK! It was all very tempting. While chef was cooking up my order, Julie handed me a latte. Bliss! The service, quality of food and the friendliness was superb.


I’d be remiss not to mention, that less than 24 hours into my 3-day cruise, the stand out is the crew. These hard-working men and women are such an asset to the company, and their knowledge, attentiveness and friendliness ensures all passengers are looked after.

Off to see the sights and taste the delights of of Echuca 




Having moored overnight in Layfield Lane, a coach was waiting on the property to take guests out for a day of excursions. Warren or Wazza as he is affectionately know is the Great All Rounder and not only was the entertainer last night, but also coach driver AND one of the Skippers for Murray River Paddlesteamers. 

Wazza drove the coach back to Echuca to board another paddle steamer in the fleet, the PS Canberra for a scenic cruise from Riverboat Dock.




The Canberra does multiple daily 1-hour cruises that are super popular with tourists and locals alike. Young and old were thoroughly entertained by the colourful commentary by Skipper Beth.




Now, here’s a little tip. Down at the port, before boarding the paddlesteamers and among all the stunning redwood gumtrees is the flood level tree. WOW! 




It’s quite remarkable to see that while the Mighty Murray is the source of life and livelihood, it has and can have a devastating effect to the towns. It’s a reminder that while we think, as humans, we can try to  control our surroundings, nature has the ultimate power and we need to work in harmony.

50,000 pieces and growing 


]Next stop was The Great Aussie Beer Shed. A museum of sorts that houses more than 50,000 pieces of Aussie memorabilia. Run by the colourful and passionate local Neil Thomas, the Shed houses a collection of beer paraphernalia, WWI War keepsakes, cars, carriages and so much more. It was rather overwhelming but also very interesting. 



It always fascinates me when I meet collectors and I try to understand what fuels their passion. Having had the pleasure to chat with Neil, his effort over last four decades to curate the Beer Shed stems from a combination of Aussie pride and the love for this father. It was quite touching, if I’m to be honest, and I really hope that on day his legacy will continue.



Tasting a drop at St Anne's

The final stop for the day was St Anne’s Winery. 




A pretty spot where I could have quite happily sat on the grass with a platter of cheese and a glass of red wine for hours. 


I didn’t have much time to sample all the wines as it was very busy – and again tourists had flooded Echuca for the Easter weekend – but as luck would have, I found out later that evening that there was a nice selection of St Anne’s wines on board Emmylou. 



River life for miles and miles




It was great to be back on board. Emmylou has a rustic charm that is so welcoming - and there was lunch waiting. I hadn’t sampled the meat from the campfire the day earlier ( I was fasting for Good Friday) and I sheepishly asked Chef Greg for a hot roll with the leftover pulled beef. Naturally he obliged and It. Was. So. Good!




For the next 5 hours we travelled down at a leisurely pace. I visited the Wheelhouse and Skipper Richard several times to soak in the ever-changing scenery from the best vantage point on the boat. I loved the casual nature of just sitting with Skipper having a yarn. All guests are welcome to visit the Wheelhouse ( as long as the door is open which is most of the time, except during docking).




As Day 2 came to a close, I realised just how much I really love river life. Cruising at this pace is so soothing to the soul. I also might have mentioned at least eleventy-hundred times just how much I love gum trees. Each tree is unique and has a spirit and an eons-old story. I do love Australia and know my privilege of being born in this wonderful country.

I only had one more day on the Mighty Murray and I was going to appreciate every single moment on this magical adventure.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments