All Aboard Emmylou - Day 1 Murray River Paddlesteamers

By Cruising With Honey - 22:00


All aboard Emmylou

The rhythm of the paddle as it churned the Murray River water matched my heart beat. A comforting pace, cadenced and punctured only by the iconic sound of the steam whistle.

This was the Murray I had been hoping for and the next three nights aboard the PS Emmylou were bound to be a memorable and relaxing journey. 

Early start and seamless connections

Did I really get up at 3:30am? Yes and it only took three alarms to rouse me. I had an early 6 am flight to Melbourne which meant arriving at Sydney airport at 5am. Then, a short bus trip to Southern Cross Station where I boarded the VLine train. 


The 3 hour trip was quite relaxing, almost too relaxing as I did nod off a few times during the ride to Echuca. My one tip with any mode of transport when you’re sitting for an extended time is to bring something warm to wrap around yourself. It just makes things a lot more pleasant.

A step back in time - Welcome to Echuca


I stood there at the top of Echuca in the blazing sun. A faint clip-clop gradually grew louder, and there, right next to me was an old-fashioned coach pulled by two beautiful horses.


The live music at the local hotel carried down the dirt road as I weaved in and out of galleries, the Discovery Centre, the blacksmith and cafes. 



Walking further to the main street, I explored antique shops, boutiques, bakeries and other quaint establishments. The people were friendly and welcoming and I only wished I had three stomachs to sample something at all the enticing eateries. 

The iconic whistle – All aboard!


As I walked down the timber gangway towards the PS Emmylou, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of awe. The boat slightly bobbed at the pier, the nostalgia of a bygone era filled the air. Skipper Richard welcomed me on board and showed me to my ‘home’ for the next three days.




Unsurprisingly, the cruise was sold out with every cabin occupied. The PS Emmylou has 8 cabins ranging from largest Queen Suite (1), Upper Deck Queen Cabin  (2) and Upper Deck Double Cabin (2), Upper Deck Twin Cabin (2) and Main Deck Queen Cabin (1). The Main Deck Queen cabin is best for passengers with mobility challenges. 

The Queen suite at the very front of the boat was double the size of the other accommodation options and opened up to uninterrupted views.

Before setting sail, Skipper Richard greeted all passengers, explained safety procedures and how the meals work. I knew that the meals would be special when Chef informed us everything would be made to order. Talk about personal service.

Off we go down (or was it up?) the river

With another blast of the whistle, the Emmylou left the port of Echuca. It felt exciting to be on a vessel powered by steam and tradition on a river that has been the lifeblood for generations of families.

WATCH MY SET SAIL VIDEO HERE


Devouring freshly baked scones, I sat and watched the campers on the riverbanks, the kids on their waterskis and boatfuls of happy groups, laughter and joy filling the air. 

And, in what would become a recurring them, the universal sign ‘sound the whistle’ made by young and old as Emmylou chugged along the water and then a burst of cheers when the skipper obliged. This iconic whistle of the paddlesteamer whistle is the soundtrack of the Murray and Echuca Moama and can be heard for quite a distance.

Give me a campfire and a good ol’ fashioned sing-a-long

The smell of the campfire warmed the air as I stepped off Emmylou.


Tonight we would be dining under the stars at  Layfield Lane. The crew had set up camp and Host Julie had decorated the rustic dinner setting with candles, flowers and quirky plates.  Chef was hard at work cooking a mound of meats and seafood. 




But the night wasn’t over yet! Armed with his guitar and harmonica, Warren strummed and sang campfire classics until the stars twinkled in the deep velvet sky.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments