Cruising with Murray River Paddlesteamers

By Cruising With Honey - 13:36

Murray River Paddlesteamers


Let's cruise on a wood-fired paddle steamer - Murray River Paddlesteamers' PS Emmylou


Large ocean ships, boutique expedition vessels and luxury liners – I’ve been on many different styles of boats and they all share some similarities.

Tomorrow, however, I can say with complete certainty, that I’ll be embarking on a cruise that is so unique, that I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

Introducing the Murray River Paddlesteamers', the PS Emmylou. The only wood-fired paddle steamer in the world that offers accommodated river cruises.

If the words ‘paddle steamer’ and ‘Murray River’ immediately transports you to a bygone era of Australiana, you’re not the only one.

When I first was made aware of this cruise, it unlocked a childhood memory of watching the iconic Australian TV series, All The Rivers Run Dry. The beautiful Sigrid Thornton as Philadelphia, a young woman exploring love and adventure in the rugged and stunning outback, living in Echuca and traveling on a paddle steamer along the Murray River.

As a young girl living in Sydney Suburbia, it all was very romantic - and my first exposure to regional Australia. It was so foreign, and yet drew me to its charm. I am embarrassed to admit, that with all my travels, I’ve yet to cruise the Murray River nor visit the historic port city of Echuca. I have a feeling, this journey will be one of those life changing moments.

Meet PS Emmylou - the last surviving wood-fired paddle steamer

PS Emmylou Paddlesteamer


Over the last year, I have been inundated with requests from my followers to cruise aboard Emmylou, and as I mentioned above, my limited knowledge was from a TV show. So, I decided to find out more. I've always yearned to explore more of my country and I feel a deep connection to the Aussie bush.

Built in 1980, the PS Emmylou is powered by a steam engine that was built in 1906! She’s just over 30 metres long (100ft) with a maximum speed of 8 knots. As the only wood-fired paddle steamer on the Murray River, 1 tonne of wood is used to power her every day. 

There are 8 cabins with a capacity of 16 guest, plus 4 crew. I’m very fortunate to be hosted on board in the Queen Cabin, the largest suite.

Introducing Emmylou’s  new sister, PS Australian Star – due date  June 20

PS Australian Star



While I’m super excited to be cruising on the PS Emmylou this Easter weekend, Murray River Paddle Steamers is expanding their fleet. 

The  PS Australian Star promises to redefine river cruising, combining luxury and tradition. Featuring 19 suites that all open to the deck, the PS Australian Star has beennamed to honour the Southern Cross.

I’ll be bringing you more information as this stunning vessel ahead of her launch. Watch this space.

PS Australian Star



More to discover about Echuca Moama and the Mighty Murray



Located about 200 km north of Melbourne, the city of Echuca has a fascinating history. You’ll often see the city referred to Echuca Moama – the twin cities of the region. 

Known for its pioneering past, the cities are famous for their hospitality, food and wine. And, the stunning landscape. I can’t wait to be immersed in this authentic Australian bushland and will be spending a day after my 3-night cruise aboard Emmylou to eat, drink and discover all the delights.

As the third longest navigable river in the world, and Australia’s longest river, the winding Murray River has played an integral role in commercial development and river transportation since European exploration and settlement in the 1820s. 

The Murray River is also steeped in rich Aboriginal folklore and history and has deep connection to culture and Land. Aboriginal mythology tells the tale of a hunter who pursued a Murray cod that subsequently carved out the river.

Echuca



Planes, trains, coaches and cars – and then a paddle steamer


The journey ahead of my 3-night cruise is quite the adventure itself. 

Don’t they say that getting there is half the fun?  A very early morning drive to Sydney airport, a pretty early flight to Melbourne, followed by a coach ( how good is the SkyBus) to Southern Cross Station, then a 3 hour train trip to Echuca where I’ll be met by a team member from Murray River Paddlesteamers who’ll then take me to the boat for a 4pm departure. 


I’ll be documenting every step of the way, so don’t forget to follow along, live, on my Facebook page, Instagram and daily blogs on this website.

Let’s uncover the beauty, history and charm together as we voyage along the Murray River.

N.B I am being hosted as a guest of Murray River Paddlesteamers on a 3-night discovery cruise.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments