Super Yacht of Dreams - Emerald Azzurra Embarkation Day

By Cruising With Honey - 15:34

Emerald Azzurra Day 1

A Super Yacht for a super exciting cruise

From all the seafaring vessels I’ve been fortunate to cruise on, one has eluded me: the Super Yacht.

But what, pray tell, is a super yacht? I can explain in technical terms as a pleasure boat of more than 24 metres, has multiple decks and a full-time crew.

However, this technical definition does not paint the real picture. A super yacht epitomises the height of luxurious sea travel. Passenger numbers are low, the crew-to-passenger ratio is high and the onboard experience is one of utter opulence. And, due to its size, a super yacht can visit ports that large cruise ships just can’t, allowing travellers to visit destinations that most cruisers only dream about.

And today, I am one lucky girly as I embark on a dream cruise aboard Emerald Azzurra.

Emerald Azzurra: facts and figures



Emerald Azzurra and her sister ship Sakara are floating luxury hotels. Every luxurious amenity from spa services to world-class cuisine is available on board. 

(These two striking beauties will soon add another sister, Kaia, launching in 2026, but more about her later).

Here are some facts and figures:

Built: 2023
Length: 110m 
Guests: 100
Cabins: 50
Crew: 72
Decks: 6
Bars: 3
Pool: 2
Restaurants: 2
Plus
Marina platform
Spa + hairdresser
Gym + infrared sauna
Boutique
Lifts
Laundry
Medical Centre

Stepping aboard into stunning surroundings





As the coach pulled up to the port of Civitavecchia, Rome, Emerald Azzurra’s sleek design struck a dramatic image against the blue sky.

But, wait, was I seeing double? 

To my absolute surprise, Emerald Sakara was parked, the two elegant sister bow-to-stern. What a treat to be here to see  the two super yachts together. I was told later, this was quite the historic moment as it was the first time they were both in Civitavecchia together. What a way to start an adventure.


Stepping off the coach, my bags whisked away effortlessly, it was time to get on board. The bubbles of excitement were almost overflowing as I tripped over my feet (yes, I’m clumsy) as I crossed the gangway.


I knew that the crew would be friendly having cruised on Emerald last year in Vietnam and Cambodia , but I did not expect to be embraced in an all-encompassing greeting of genuine welcome of such magnitude. 



The Hotel Director, Captain, Staff Captain and Entertainment Director and other crew were waiting to say hello and show-off their work place with pride. There was a joy that emanated from them all, a camaraderie that is forged through a genuine love for their role and for their fellow crew. After a minute one board, I knew it was going to be difficult to say goodbye to these people next week. (Let’s not get ahead of yourself, Honey).


Check in took next to no time. I handed over my passports and I was given my suite key and then I ushered to speak to crew Carlos and Ozzy who conducted a one-on-one safety briefing with each passenger. Yay, no crowded muster drill.

Let’s take a tour 

Before heading up to my suite home for the next week, I joined the other passengers in the Amici Lounge where the crew from the different departments introduced themselves and then conducted a ship tour.



Wow! Just wow! Emerald Azzurra far exceeded my expectations. Every space is nuancd with elegant touches, the colours are calm and the whole vessel is modern.

One of the highlights for me? The Bridge has an open-door policy so any guest can visit the Captain and his team at any time. How exciting.

Suite, yes, it’s very sweet





Look, to be honest, I’d be happy on a hammock on the deck, as just being on board is a dream come true, but as luck should have it, I have one of the beautiful balcony suites on Deck 5. 

Emerald Azzurra features 6 suite categories and 1 stateroom category

Two Owner’s Suite 108.8 -110.8 m2 
Two Yacht Suites         65 – 67m2
Two Terrace Suites         60.2 – 62.2 m2
Two Deluxe Balcony Suite: 35.5 - 37.5m2
14 Balcony Suites (a) 26.5 – 28.5m2
22 Balcony suites         26.5 – 28.5m2
6 Oceanview staterooms         17 – 19.5m2

I was sharing the suite with my darling nephew so the room was set up as a twin configuration. The room is bright and is furnished with soothing, neutral colours. Lots of storage space and loads of powerpoints. The balcony is a great size and there’s a sofa AND an armchair and a foot rest. There’s also a stocked mini-bar and reusable water bottles. Emerald Cruises is very serious about being sustainable. 

I loved the bathroom, especially the storage space behind the large mirror.




But, my favourite feature? The bed. Super, duper comfortable, it was like sleeping on the softest cloud. I also loved the blockout blind. Put the two together, and apparently ( my nephew would attest) I fell asleep in 27 seconds.


Sailaway to Capri and beyond




As the yacht pulled away from Civitavecchia, the lovely entertainer gently sung the famous Fleetwood Mac song, Everywhere, as she strummed her guitar in time to the gentle sway of the ocean. A perfectly fitting tune to mark the beginning of our adventure on Emerald Azzurra.

I pinched myself, hard. 

This whole scenario was surreal. If I could have created the perfect sea moment, it would not have come close to this moment, right now.

The old town gradually became smaller as the wide expanse of the Mediterranean became larger. I knew this was going to be special. How special? Only time will tell, but I had this delicious feeling as the sun set on our way to Capri on the Amalfi Coast, that magical Emerald moments were on the horizon.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments