A Beacon of Light - Day 6 Sun Princess

By Cruising With Honey - 12:56



Day 6 onboard Princess Cruises 
Third Port Stop – Palma de Mallorca, Spain 


It was a cold, wet day but the Sun Princess was still shining bright.

What a difference a day can make. Today’s dizzily, dreary weather was not conducive to exploring another Spanish city, this time the resort town of Palma, the capital of the Spanish island of Mallorca.

But, I also feel a sense of FOMO if I don’t get off at a port, so begrudgingly, we disembarked in the rain.




I really do not want to be a Negative Nelly, but I really did not like Palma. 
  • The taxi driver was unfriendly to the point of rudeness and took a long route to the Cathedral. Typical tourist scam.
  • We were hassled by street vendors and other shady types, I was targeted by a pickpocketer (lucky my nephew was aware and stopped the impending theft). 
  • I was told off aggressively for taking one picture of the inside of the Cathedral while standing outside in the rain.
  • The taxi line was over two hours long and we were very lucky fellow Sun Princess passengers at the head of the queue generously invited us to join them.



The positive was that the gothic Santa María Cathedral did look even more beautiful in the drizzle, so I'm glad I got the chance to see it from the outside.




(N.B I am told that Palma de Mallorca is a popular tourist spot for many British and European tourists. It just might have been a bad day, a combination of the weather, the traffic and the crowds. I hope to return one day to explore the architecture, food and fusion of Moorish, Roman and Catholic cultures, so I’m not writing it off just yet as I do love Spain.)

Needless to say I was more than ecstatic to be back home, on board Sun Princess.

International Cafe  - night and day




Cold, wet and hungry, it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner by the time we made it back on board. So, I made a beeline to the International Cafe. For those who are not familiar with this eatery, the International Cafe is found on every Princess ship and is the place to go for a coffee, savoury or sweet snack. 

While the International Cafe on Sun Princess is not located in its usually spot (Deck 5 of the Atrium on other ships in the fleet), its position on Deck 9 is still great for feeling as if you’re part of the heartbeat of the ship. I love people-watching.

At any time of the day, passengers can select from a range of very tasty small dishes. In the morning, there are breakfast items such as egg muffins and pizza scrolls and in the afternoon sandwiches, quiche and sausage rolls. 

And, then there is a nice selection of sweets, including brownies, cookies and the most amazing Portuguese tarts.

All items (except for the beverages) are free, no additional charge. This is just one of the reasons I love Princess as on other cruiselines, extra snacks are not usually included in the fare.

A Carnivore’s Dream


If you love your meat, then the Butcher’s Block by Dario is your kind of restaurant. Located on Deck 9, the restaurant is more like a theatrical experience where diners eat family-style. 




Waiters come around with large plates of various cuts of meat cooked in different styles. The atmosphere is warm and relaxed and the quirky and colourful Dario Cecchini even made an appearance. The olive oil cake was mouth-wateringly good.


Acrobatics in the Dome

I wish I had more time on Sun Princess to see more shows in the Dome. I love the layout, the architecture and unique shape of this glass-enclosed venue. By day, the indoor/outdoor pool and large LED screen are the main features, but at night it transforms into an entertainment venue for shows.



Tonight, I witnessed a performance that can only be described as SUNsational. It was a combination of acrobatics, eye-popping skill, art and dance. I’m always so amazed by the performers – athletes – that make everything look so effortless. 


And, now to say goodbye to the Sun


Before heading back for my last sleep in my lovely cabin, I reflected on my time on board. 


13 months ago, I walked around this yet unfinished ship, imagining how she’d be transformed into a seafaring marvel. I couldn’t quite grasp how the construction site would come to life, but I knew that the engineers and builders and designers and everyone else who envisioned the ship had faith their dream would become a reality. 

As I walked through the Atrium one last time and looked up, I realised then that all that imagination and hard work had paid off. 

The vision was to build a ship to shake-up the cruising industry. To address environmental issue and use sustainable LNG. To create a large ship, but not an amusement park. To create light-filled public areas and bring the outside in, producing an illusion that guests are part of the sea. To develop state-of-the art entertainment production spaces. To further enhance culinary offerings on board.

To stay true to the Princess Cruises experience.


Sun Princess has achieved all of this. She is the beacon of light that will shine across the seas, illuminating the path forward into the future for the entire Princess fleet. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments