P&O

Part 2: WhatsOn - P&O's first onboard app

By Cruising With Honey - 21:54



P&O Cruises Australia


Sometimes, big corporations can seem faceless.

Sure there are people in the top jobs with fancy titles, but often it's hard to make a human connection, really put a face to name.

Through the dealings that I've had with P&O over the last year, I can honestly say I have always been able to make a connection with the faces behind the titles. Whether onboard, at an event or sitting here at my fuchsia-coloured desk. That's refreshing.

You see, I've worked in the media since I was 16 - that's 24 years. I've interviewed, or tried to interview the full gamut of personalities in this country; from politicians to celebrities, inventors to criminals, those who serve our community and those who live on the fringes. It hasn't always been easy.

So, it's refreshing to me that rather than having a door slammed in my face, or worse, ignored, the people at P&O and their media counterparts have welcomed my questions and done their utmost to answer them all. They don't owe me anything and could easily dismiss my blog. 

That's good manners and good business.

Last week you may recall I wrote a blog piece about P&O's new onboard app. There was a dearth of information about it, and I found myself inundated with questions from fellow cruise enthusiasts. I wrote what I knew and then added a few questions at the end of the piece. To be honest, I didn't expect a response, rather I thought a press release may be drafted in the near future to answer some of the questions that could be part of a wider campaign and issued to all media.

Can you imagine my surprise when I received an email today, from P&O President Sture Myrmell himself, addressing all my questions? I'll copy and paste it here in its entirety for you all to read.


Sture Myrmell



1.     While the app is free, do guests still have to pay for internet to connect?

The app is free, and you do not need to purchase internet access to use it as it works off the ship's internal Wi-Fi network.

2.     Is this a cost-cutting initiative and a decline in customer service? The end of face-to-face contact?

Not at all. The app is about improving guest service and experience. We received feedback from guests wanting more self-service and this is one way we have been able to respond. P&O also has many groups travelling onboard and this is a simple way for them to stay connected.  

3.     Will it mean the end of the Pacific Daily? I love that daily newsletter!

The daily newsletter will still be delivered in its paper form, as well as being available as part of the app.

4.     Will people miss out on restaurant booking if they don't use the app?

Guests will still be able to book directly at all of our restaurants.


5.     Will this isolate older cruisers who do not use smartphones?

WhatsOn is an enhancement for those who wish to use the technology. Guests who want to disconnect or who don’t use a smartphone won’t notice any change to the way we do things.

6.     Will guests now be glued to their phones instead of getting away from technology? I mean, isn't cruising all about escaping reality for a while and being uncontactable?

One of the great aspects of cruising is disconnecting from technology and reconnecting with family but that’s one of the great perks of the app – it will help loved ones stay in touch onboard.

And there it is. Thank you Sture.

Just as a reminder, I'd like to reiterate that this blog is completely independent of any cruiseline. Everything I write here is solely my view, my words (unless stated) and my opinion. I am not paid nor receive any compensation. When I am invited as a guest to attend an event, inspection or meal, I always disclose this in full.

I know there are cruisers who have had unsatisfactory experiences with P&O, or favour one cruiseline ahead of another, but what I'd like to stress to all my readers is that I can attest that P&O listen. And that's refreshing in a world full of inflated words and lots of noise.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments