South Pacific Cruise - Day 2 - Pacific Explorer Sea Day

By Cruising With Honey - 01:41

 

South Pacific Cruise

What was that banging?

It was 7:32am and my brain was still 95% in the land of slumber. A noise startled me awake, and in my reverie I thought I was back in my bed at home, and someone was knocking on my door.

The tap-tap-tap continued, and now I could make out that the sound was coming from the wall behind my bed.

“What the ffffuuuudge?…” I truly wanted a sleep in.

The rhythm and volume increased. The champagne glass on my bedside table rattled.  I rubbed my eyes and it was then the realisation dawned on me. All at once I felt equal part embarrassed and equal part ‘ewww’. I was in a conundrum. Maybe I could stick my fingers in my ears and try to go back to sleep? However, my thoughts were interrupted by my daughter springing awake, staring at me wide-eyed. How the heck was I to explain this?

So, I put on my fun police badge and hit the wall quite firmly with the palm of my hand and yelled out, ‘Hey!’ in my best mum voice. Immediately, my amorous neighbours stopped.

Mortified, all I kept thinking was that I hope I don’t run into them in the hallway – there were still six days to go.

Word of advice friends:

Ship cabin walls are NOT soundproof.


Well and truly awake I decided to grab breakfast at the Pantry, and then down to Charlie’s bar for a hot mocha. The barista coffee is seriously good, so make sure you try some of their caffeinated offerings.


It was an overcast day, but still nice and warm. Alas my littlest honeybee was feeling queasy, still not used to the motion of the ocean, and so we spent the morning and the early afternoon cuddling and napping. A quick lunch back at the Pantry (the fried rice was scrumptious), and then I attended an Origami class with Danny in the Explorer Hotel. The paper folding activity was a hoot, and the sound of my daughters’ giggles at my attempts to make a paper penguin were delightful.


Checking out the arvo’s activities on the WhatsOn app, I saw there was a Choir class in the Blue Room. I was walking passed anyway, so why not stick my head in? Suffice to say, 45 mins later, I had joined up with the super-talented Anthony Quimby, committed to rehearse every day at 2:15pm and was even given a solo! Watch this space

Dinner wasn’t too far off, and I was very excited about dining at Dragon Lady. I hadn’t eaten in the speciality restaurant – which showcases a variety of Asian dishes – since 2015 on Eden.  Bring it on!


Stepping into this eatery is like nothing else on board. Beautiful Asian-inspired décor, plush carpet, stunning table settings and a moody atmosphere has cemented this as a firm favourite for our family. Upon being seated, each diner is given a ‘shooter’ of a refreshing concoction  (this one had orange and ginger flavours) and then the menu is explained. There are two options; one is more like a degustation – basically you are served many dishes to share, or the second option is to choose your own dishes, entrées and mains. Between the five of us we sampled; edamame, sushi, fresh spring rolls, beef satay skewers, chicken ramen, fried chicken, lamb gyoza and a pork dish. Every single dish was exceptional. I loved the authentic flavours and the fact that on our table we had dishes from across numerous cultures; Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Thai.

(P.S With the satellite internet, images take a LONG time to upload, so for the Dragon Lady dishes, please head to my Facebook page)

As I finished my last mouthful, I didn’t think dessert could top the meal. But I was wrong! As I spooned the first taste of the peanut butter and chocolate parfait I thought, “What sorcery is this?”  Cold, creamy, fluffy, nutty and chocolatey all at once! Just scrumptious. And if you think I’m exaggerating, my husband – who normally skips dessert – ate TWO.

The meal had put the whole family in a great mood, and we virtually skipped to the Marquee to watch the talented Nathan Foley (of High 5 fame) sing, dance and play through some super fun musical hits.

Stifling yawns, we meandered to our cabins to get some sleep. Maybe it was the sea air or could it be that I’m just a gobble guts, but I had the bright idea to get some pizza from 400 Gradi. Kids were in their pyjamas and insisted they didn’t want any pizza, so I headed off to grab one for myself. 



Ten minutes later, as I walked back into the cabin bearing the pipping hot pie, all eight eyes widened and all eight nostrils flared, sniffing the aroma of the pizza.  In exactly two-and-a-half minutes flat, the pizza had disappeared. And, as you guessed it, mama Honey didn’t get a slice.



Giggling to my self, I trudged back up to Gradi. The lovely Jessamine looked at me with a slight look of bewilderment.  We looked at each other and burst into laughter as I ordered, “two more pizzas please.”

The end of Day 2

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments