Alaskan Adventure with Holland America – Day 4

By Cruising With Honey - 22:19

 

Skagway - A step back in time


You know that feeling like you’ve been transported into another world, one that is so breathtakingly beautiful you almost have an out-of-body experience?

I’ve felt that before; the Isle of Pines, Papua New Guinea and now Skagway, Alaska – more specifically the White Pass Summit.

I was urged before leaving Australia to take the White Pass Summit railway, but nothing could have prepared me for the sheer sensory overload of the train journey.


Skagway was blowing a gale; the wind was so powerful it was hard to walk. Luckily it was only a short walk to the train, and before we knew it, we were off. 

She’ll be coming round the mountain…


As we snapped our pics and tried to document the immense beauty, it dawned on me that no camera can fully capture what our eyes can see. 

As the train chugged along, the magnificence of the trees, mountains and sheer rugged environment had the passengers in awe. We stood outside, craving to be a part of this splendour and soak in the scenery.

The train made its way up, up, up, passing rivers and ice, the original bridge and snow peaked mountains. I never was a ‘train person', but this was beyond. A fun fact, when we entered Canada, the train had to stop to exchange paperwork. 

Three hours later, and with a new sense of admiration for the pioneering spirit that drove this marvel to be built, our train trip ended. 

A snapshot of old 



As this was my first time in America, everything intrigued me. The star-spangled banners, the old-town charm and this feeling we had stepped back in time. Skagway is historically significant for its role in the influx of prospectors, looking to find their fortune in gold.

These days, with a population of just over 800, workers (and even the fire fighters) come from other parts of America and descend on this town to peddle their wares, serve ice-cold beer and pop lots of corn for the tourists.


After sculling the local brew and eating my weight in popcorn, I decided I REALLY liked this town (despite the fur store we reluctantly went in to. Look, the guy was friendly, but the hundreds of dead animal fur made into fashion was macabre and made me feel gross).





Pier runner, me?


The wind was still howling, so I thought I’d have a little fun and ‘run’ back to the ship. I think I was trying to escape the cold and maybe give the crew manning the gangway a giggle. In truth, I just couldn’t wait to get back on board and head to the thermal suite – again.


When I woke this morning, I couldn’t have imagined today would be as memorable or as transformative as it was. 

This day will live in bright technicolour, tucked away in the recesses of my mind to re-live with a wistful smile - when I’m old and unable to travel – and I'll be forever grateful for the wonders cruising has brought into my life. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments