Carnival Splendor is back in Australia - First Cruise, Day 1

By Cruising With Honey - 19:14


Carnival Splendor - Carnival Cruiseline Australia

Day 1 – Live from Carnival Splendor 
4-night voyage from Sydney to Moreton Island

I won’t lie, there were tears of joy as I took my first step aboard Carnival Splendor. The joy of the crew to welcome cruisers back on board the FUNship was electric.




It had been nearly 1000 days since Carnival had been in Aussie waters – had it really been that long?

The morning before, the Splendor’s iconic red and blue funnel glided into Sydney Harbour, cutting a bright streak in the misty grey morning air. Tomorrow, I’ll be on board – what fun!

But, before stepping aboard, I was lucky enough to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony, officiated by Carnival President Christine Duffy. It was quite emotional as this was the last re-start for Carnival since the worldwide cruise shutdown. There were cruisers in attendance who had just completed the 23-day cruise from Seattle – mostly Americans – but also some Aussies who described the voyage as “simply beautiful".



Ms Duffy was radiating joy and the Australian Carnival team were beyond excited, waving signs and smiling from widely. I felt so proud to here in this moment as I knew just how hard everyone had worked to get this point. Watch here 


Ribbon cut, speeches done and soon I was Carnival-Conga-ing towards the gangway. As I inched closer, the music became louder and the butterflies in my stomach fluttered furiously.



The crew were dancing and singing and waving signs – gosh my cheeks were already hurting from smiling. And Dessi - everyone's favourite Maitre'd - was on board! I literally burst into tears. Watch here

A quick livestream with former NRL Football legend and TV personality Beau Ryan and Carnival FUN Ambassador - then straight to my cabin.


Check out my cabin tour here  I’d never stayed in a corner cabin, and I admit, it was very spacious. Being on Deck 2, it was only one floor up to the dining room – very handy!





It was after 1pm and the tummy was grumbling, so next stop the Lido and the ‘design-your- own stirfry. I love this option and it’s so delicious, fresh and made to order.


For the next few hours, I wandered around the ship, thrilled to be back aboard Splendor, soaking up the atmosphere and meeting lots of people I’d only ever chatted to online.



Here’s a tip – download the Carnival Hub App as a printed daily newsletter is no longer available. I love this improvement as there is much less wasted paper and you can make all your bookings, see your account, see the daily schedule, chat and so much more on the app.



So, departure was delayed – which honestly worked in my favour - as a night sailaway was spectacular. Sydney harbour is gorgeous at the best of times, but at night lights illuminate the entire city. 



There were very long queues and some frustrated passengers, which is totally understandable – I’m not minimising people’s valid feelings and experiences. I will say though that the checking-in system was playing up as the new system had not been used before. I’m certain this will be ironed out in time for the next sailing.


Dinner was a mouth-watering affair at 555 Fahrenheit (also known as the steakhouse). This is a specialty restaurant and there is a surcharge of $65 per person. I had a delicious onion soup (that I could not finish), surf and turf (lobster tail and filet mignon) then the utterly decadent chocolate sphere. I might need to be rolled off the ship. For $65, this is excellent value and perfect to celebrate a special occasion or just to treat yourself.



What a day! It had been an early start, lots of excitement, meeting new people and an utterly delicious meal. Completely satisfied, and exhausted I sunk into my comfy bed (the beds are SO comfortable) and dreamed the sweetest of sea dreams.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments