Carnival Splendor is back in Australia - First Cruise, Day 2

By Cruising With Honey - 21:25


Most days on land, I really avoid breakfast, honestly I couldn't bothered. But at sea it’s a different story. I'm not turning down someone else preparing, cooking, serving and cleaning up. It's just another thing I LOVE about cruising - and I'll never get tired of this privilege nor be ungrateful to the crew who work so hard to give me a break. Thank you! 

And, I can say that 99.99% of the passengers were polite and kind. Except one. One male, clicked his fingers at a very busy waiter.  Yes, CLICKED. He wasn't even saying "excuse me", just "hey, brotha' brotha'" over and over again in quick succession. When it dawned on the waiter that this bellowing from the across the room, "brotha, brotha" was aimed at him, he quickly went over to see what this guy wanted. "You forgot my son's hot chocolate," he barked. Apologetically, the waiter sprinted off. I stared at the back of this guy's head for a minute, willing him to turn around,  a steely look in my eyes and with a few choice words prepared. Alas he was too busy stuffing seven pieces of bacon in his mouth.

Don't be like this guy.

English is the second language for many of of the waiters. Please be kind. They are SO friendly and just want to make passengers happy.

Anyway...

Carnival Hub App


Things have changed a bit on Carnival since the pandemic, and one of those things is booking a table in the dining room. You simply open the Carnival Hub app and select ‘book a table’ for breakfast. You then get an alert telling you how long it will be (20-30mins). This gave me plenty of time to get dressed and ready for the day. The app gave an update every few minutes, and when my table was ready, I received another alert with my table number and a '10-minute hold’. So easy, streamlined and efficient.


As I was ushered to my table that was opposite the large aft windows, I took a long deep breath. Where else in the world can you get breakfast with a side of wake view? It was so pretty. My server explained that to order, one simply scans the QR code that’s on a little plastic thingy (look I don’t know what you’d call it) on the table and, voila, the menu appears on your phone.

Post Pandemic Cruising


Let me take a moment to address any concerns about the tech advances. We have lived through a pandemic where we have all – young and old – gotten used to checking in, scanning QR codes, using apps and the like. I also understand that not everyone has a smart phone. So, please be assured that the servers and waiters will absolutely help you and get you a paper menu or help you to order. 

This is the way of the future; every single cruise I have been on this year has an app which makes things so much easier. Granted, apps don’t always work, but we all have to embrace it. Carnival is catching up and it’s great to see these advancements.


Allow me also to add other observations:

• I did not miss having a daily printed newsletter; I always found these a huge waste of paper.

• Plastic straws are definitely gone, however if you want a straw, there are ‘candy’ straws.

• While masks are not mandatory, there are signs for passengers to mask-up if they’re unable to maintain physical distance, and there are signs in the elevators to wear a mask. Every single crew member wears a mask at all times. No exceptions.

• There was constant cleaning around the ship; the food outlets, the decks, even the elevator buttons.

• I did not see many passengers wear masks, but there were some who still opted to cover. Masks were still mandatory for passengers on embarkation and debarkation.

Ice, ice, baby





Every time I cruise Carnival, I never miss the ice-carving show – and today was no exception. Crowds milled around the very talented crew member who hacked (artistically) into a huge, clear block of ice. The kids ohh’ed and ahh’ed, shouting out guesses as to what he was creating. After about 15 mins, two angel fish appeared to the delight of astounded passengers.



I spent he next few hours walking around the ship, meeting new friends, but soon it was time to get ready for elegant night and the Captain’s Welcome. 




Captain, my Captain


I just love seeing all the senior officers in their dress uniforms. SWOON!


The atrium was buzzing with excited young kids dancing around, a wonderful violin trio and a general happiness. I sipped on my first cocktail – Mojito, extra sweet – and chatted to whoever was near me.


Interestingly and reassuringly, the Captain explained that the departure delay yesterday was due to the new checking-in system. I appreciated the transparency. And, you know what? Fair enough. It was the first cruise out and computers can stump us all at the best of times.

I had the chance to meet Entertainment Director Andy, I mean you couldn't miss him in that spectacular jacket! He was friendly, bubbly and very funny. I hope to cruise with again in the near future.



More food, yes please


As my dining time was 7:45pm in the Gold Pearl, I headed down to enjoy my meal. I did not have to book a table. If you forget what time you are booked for dinner, look on your cruise card – your dinner time and location is printed. Everything was delicious and I had TWO entrees. The duck potstickers were a standout. But then it was dessert time and how could I resist the Carnival Melting Cake – my first in years! It was better than I ever remembered. How was that possible? 


Feeling festive, I ordered another cocktail, this time a Tiramisu Martini ($17). SO YUMMY!




I’d watched the Epic Rock Show before, but I couldn’t help but pop in after dinner. I always marvel at the incredible talent. Carnival knows how to do entertainment.

A quick walk in the night air before bed was the perfect nightcap to end another fabulous day of FUN, FOOD and new FRIENDS.

Tomorrow, we arrive at Moreton Island! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments