Crete: Myths, Minotaurs and Mouthwatering Meals

By Cruising With Honey - 13:19



Day 2 aboard Celestyal Cruises

Crete: Myths, Minotaurs and Mouthwatering Meals


“Mum, did you know the Minoans had flushable toilets?”

As we walked around the Palace of Knossos in Crete, I tried to imagine just how advanced this Bronze Aged civilisation that they had such advance plumbing, and yet medieval England still threw the contents of potties out of their windows.




And that’s the beauty of history, how even thousands of years later, as humans we really all share the same experience and it’s just the passage time that separates us.

Moving on.

Palace of Knossos


I have visited Crete before, but Heraklion, Crete. From my cabin balcony, the island before me beckoned in the sunlight. Seriously, this November weather has been spectacular. Today’s shore excursion was going to the Palace of Knossos and my daughter, who has just finished studying all about the Minoans was super excited.




It was a 30-minute bus drive to the archaeological site, and our tour guide was very knowledgeable. Walking among the ruins was fascinating. Behind the famous myth of the centaur and labyrinth, the tour’s highlights included stunning architecture and beautiful frescos. The highlight was the Throne Room where the alabaster throne seat gleamed in situ after all these millennia.

Heraklion



Bougasta, a layered pasty, filled with custardy-sweet yumminess is not all that Crete is famous for. But no visit to Greece is complete without tucking into a plate of this mouth-watering dish. Lucky for me, a local Cretan – and my new friend Ioannis Bras and cruise advocate – knew where the best Bougasta was.

And this is the beauty of the cruise connection, meeting new people from around the world who are just as passionate about this wonderful industry. Having connected on LinkedIn, Ioannis Bras offered to show me around his city, pointing out sites and sharing the interesting city, including the Morosini Lions Fountain, the beautiful Agia Ekaterini church, the fortress walls and the stunning coastline.



 I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the biggest gift of travel is the new friends you meet along the way.

Heraklion took my breath away – it’s such a multilayered city full of natural beauty, history and a proud people.


Speciality dinner at Grillers

Back on board, the wonderful Celestyal Journey team had organised a super facy dinner in the speciality restaurant, Grillers. I knew we were in for a treat as the invite said we’d be indulging the Greek Table Experience, a six-course culinary adventure created by legendary celebrity Greek chef, Diane Kochilas.





And what a feast we had! For my 18-year-old daughter who lives on plain white rice and subway sandwiched, I adored watching her delight in the sumptuous offerings. The maître’d Ali was absolutely incredible, ensuring we had a 5-star dining experience. From octopus carpaccio, lobster with saffron pilaf, beef loin and so many delicious dips and salads, I actually had to turn down the most incredible cheese cart I’ve ever seen. Me, turn down cheese! I would highly recommend this delicious and carefully curated dinner and experience Greek food as you’ve never had before.




Tomorrow was our only sea-day, and perusing the Daily Schedule left in our cabin, there were so many activates I wanted to do! Cooking demonstrations, a talk about Egypt (EGYPT IN ONE MORE DAY), trivia, ice carving… and maybe, just maybe find time to get through the milkshake menu.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments