The Journey begins aboard Celestyal Cruises

By Cruising With Honey - 12:46

Day 1 aboard Celestyal Journey

The Journey Begins


The Port of Piraeus was busy. Ferries, yachts and all manner of vessels packed the harbour. But I only had eyes for one blue-hulled ship, who was waiting for patiently, ready to take me on an odyssey of a lifetime.

Celestyal Journey – the newest member of the Celestyal Cruises fleet – cut a striking image at the cruise terminal. I could see excited cruise passengers wheeling their bags towards the gangway, ready to board.




Embarkation was extremely well-organised and mere minutes after dropping off our luggage and passing security, my beautiful daughter and I were walking up the gangway and stepping aboard.

The adventure had begun.

Sweet Junior suite



I’m never really fussed about the cabin I stay in, but it’s always extra sweet in a suite. Our home for the next week was a fabulous junior suite, featuring a super comfy queen bed which was converted in to two singles. 




There was a good-sized bathroom (with a shower and tub) plus a sofa, large desk/workspace, mini-fridge, table, large flatscreen TV and lots of hanging and drawer space. 

But, my absolute favourite feature was the balcony. OH MY WOW! It was the largest balcony I’ve ever had. It featured comfortable furniture and rivalled in size and design pretty much every balcony cabin I’ve ever experienced.




The colour scheme matched the Celestyal blue trademark and was modern, clean and relaxing. Yup, this would do very nicely. The added USB ports near the bed was a nice touch ensuring I’d never run out of phone battery life!

Taverna Treats



Lunch was calling and a buffet feast was what I was craving. Called the Taverna, the buffet’s light-filled space immediately brought a my smile to my face – and then that smile turned into giggles of delight as intricate faces carved in melons greeted me. It’s funny how it’s the small things that tell the big story – a story of talented chefs that take pride in their work and their eagerness to feed and greet their hungry guests.

The spread was lovely, fresh and plentiful and inspired by the flavours of Greece and the Mediterranean. We piled our plates with delicious food while the ever-attentive crew ensured we had a comfortable place to sit and enjoy our first meals. Within minutes, a bar staff member had our drinks delivered. If THIS was the level of service that we were going to receive over the next week, I was already highly impressed.

We must muster



Every cruise line has different ways to conduct the mandatory safety briefing, and aboard Celestyal Journey, passengers are directed to a traditional muster at their assigned stations. I know many cruisers dread this drill, but again, the crew were meticulous in their eagerness to ensure a smooth process and it was all over pretty quickly.

In my opinion, the most tedious task can be made light-hearted by just taking a fun approach. My daughter and I helped each other with our life-jackets, she poked fun at how she had to extend the straps to encase my chubby body and we took some silly photos. Even the most mundane task can create a memory that’ll produce a smile years down the track.

Ship tour




Gosh, it was a nice ship to walk around. As a boutique sized-ship with a maximum capacity of 1200 guests, Celestyal Journey exuded a relaxed and uncluttered feel. The public spaces were tastefully decorated, and I loved the gorgeous gold and blue accents of the Atrium. 



There were a few shops, including a stunning jewellery store that dazzled with hand-made pieces. I spied a blue-gemmed necklace that might end up around my neck in the next few days.

But, it was the wrap-around deck that I was completely besotted with, capturing my heart and imagination. The wide, teak decks unlocked a vision of romantic moonlit strolls, early morning sunsets admiring the wake and getting lost in the beauty of the sea. Not many ships these days have a wrap-around deck, so I promised myself I’d walk these boards at least once a day.

Missed dinner, peaceful slumber



I always say that Sydney is the most beautiful harbour in the world to cruise out from. But, departing Piraeus and gently gliding into the Aegean Sea was ethereal. The quiet, the pastel-painted sky, the deep blue of the ocean had me mesmerised. I stood, transfixed on my balcony, watching land slip away. It was peaceful and calm. I stood there until the colours dissolved and the sky turned inky.

As we headed towards our first port stop of Heraklion, Crete, I could barely keep my eyes open. It must have been the combination of unpacking, the gentle roll and jet-lag. I laid my head on the pillow, listening to the soft, measured breaths of my darling girl, who was already dreaming about walking in the footsteps of the Minoans. Tomorrow, my girl, your dreams will become a reality.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments