Seizing the Day on Celestyal Journey

By Cruising With Honey - 14:44


A Sea Day aboard Celestyal Cruises Celestyal Journey

Sea-ze the day


There’s fierce debate among the cruising community as to what they love more – a port day or a sea day.

For those yet to cruise (what are you waiting for?) a port day is when the ship visits a port and guests can disembark and explore. A sea day is when the ship is at sea for the whole day cruising with no stops. Depending on the length of the cruise

Today, was the only sea day aboard my 7-night Celestyal 3-Continent cruise on their newest cruise ship, Celestyal Journey. And I planned to make the most of every minute. The daily schedule was packed with activities ranging from lectures, cooking demonstrations, dance classes, interactive games and even an ice-carving demonstration. How much can I fit in on day?

But first, a stroll around the deck to drink in the impossibly blue sea views. I smiled widely, knowing we were on our way to Egypt. If I couldn’t feel the delicious sea breeze, I’d assume I was in a dream.

Tucking into a Mediterranean-style breakfast, and a mastica-flavoured milkshake, I was ready to head to the Greek cooking demonstration. But first, let me explain mastica. As a child, my mother used to give me these little translucent balls of resin instead of chewing gum. I absolutely loved it! This resin leaks from the bark of the Gum Mastic Tree of which there are many varieties in the Med and Middle East. 

For word nerds, mastic comes from the early Greek word mastichon (to chew) and is the root of the English word masticate. Makes sense, right? The flavour is very herbaceous and unlike anything else, with notes of pine and juniper and anise. What delighted me on board Celestyal Journey was the use of this unique ingredient to flavour beverages and food. Here’s a tip, you can buy mastica-flavoured liqueur to add to your cocktails.

Bringing to life the intoxicating flavours of Greek cuisine




If I attend an event, concert, lecture etc I will always sit in the front row or as close as possible. Which also means, I try my hardest to arrive as early as possible. Since receiving the daily schedule, the night before, I was super excited to watch the Greek cooking demonstration. Dragging my daughter to sit front and centre - she wasn’t overly excited about my enthusiasm – I scanned the table set up on the stage that was laden with all kinds of fresh produce and seafood. Eeeek, I couldn’t wait! 




I just love watching cooking demos while cruising and of course sampling the yummy dishes created. Chef Reda worked his magic, making a super creamy tzatziki and a seafood dish, bursting with garlic and fresh prawns and lobster.

Lectures, ice magic and dancing at the day away




With the aroma of garlic still in the air, Eden and I raced to listen to the Ampitheatro Show Lounge for the Egypt of Wonders lecture presented by an animated and interesting guest lecturer. Midway through, the lecturer selected audience members to be part of an ancient pharaonic history scene. Eden was picked to be get on stage to be part of the show – something she was NOT thrilled about but gave me lots of ammunition to tease her relentlessly for the rest of the day.

The lecture was actually fascinating and got us even more excited – if that was possible – to arrive in Egypt tomorrow.

It was time for lunch then a soak in the jacuzzi and a lounge by the pool. The sun was shining, and the ship was gliding across the water, gently rocking me into a state of bliss. Could this sea day get any better? Just as I was about to nod off, a huge block of crystal-clear ice was hauled onto the deck. Look, I’ve seen dozens of ice-carving demos on ships, and I can honestly say they never seem to get boring. I’m always enthralled by the workmanship, skill and sheer talent of the chefs to turn block of ice into a veritable artwork. As chef hacked into the hard ice, a shape was gradually appearing. Cheers erupted as he proudly displayed his finished product, a beautiful profile of a stallion. It seemed such a shame that this would ultimately melt into a puddle of nothing.




While I missed the Salsa dance class, the Arabian dance class was up next on my agenda. So fun, so upbeat and definitely helped to work up an appetite for dinner. If you’re not the type of cruiser who doesn’t like participating in group activities, I would actually encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Any group activity is a great way to meet other passengers on board and sometimes even ignite lifelong friendships.

The countdown to reach Egypt was on




Watching the magical sunset,  the butterflies in my tummy were multiplying and an accelerated rate. It was about 8pm and while I had every intention to watch tonight’ show the Cirque Fantastic, I knew it was going to be an early start tomorrow. 


The ship was due to arrive in Alexandria at before 6am we were to disembark the ship for our shore excursion, The Pyramids and Nile in Style. At 6:15am.

My dream to finally see Egypt was merely hours away, and just like a sat up to watch the first iceberg when I cruised to Antarctica, I wanted to be out on my balcony to see the moment Egypt appeared.

Tomorrow, I’ll be walking in the land of the Pharaohs. It seemed surreal, and yet I knew in my core that this was my destiny.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments