Genting Dream - Day 1

By Cruising With Honey - 22:44



Dream Cruises Genting Dream


Beads of sweat tickled my top lip, my eyebrows were damp under my sunglasses. So this is what it feels like to be locked up in the laundry with the dryer going full ball? Ugh.

And yet, I attempted to give off an air of aloofness despite a trickle of perspiration making its way down my spine. 

The hotel I was stayed at the night before at Park Hotel Clarke Quay said it would take about 45 minutes to arrive at Marina Cruise Centre, but as I was to realise, wherever you want to go in Singapore it only realistically takes 15 minutes.

I shifted my weight, trying to look cool in my floor length multi-coloured silk Bonita kaftan, searching the busy terminal for my hosts. I didn't know any of the other members of the media group, but scanning the crowd, I noticed a young woman also standing alone. I headed in her direction. Amelia (who I would later nickname Milly-Moo) smiled and we figured out we would be travelling partners for the next five days. Within another 10 minutes, the remainder of our group, eight very lovely people and one other (there's always one) and our two hosts Brigita and Leonie, had assembled and we were ready to board.

Boarding

I will be honest, boarding was a little... busy. The terminal itself was large and clean and there were a lot of helpful staff. A few staff were a little inexperienced and others were a little 'efficient'. But I made it through after several strict security procedures - and after physically being shoved by a fellow passenger. (A little cranky, my inside voice wished she copped a handful of Honey sweat).

However, this minor annoyance soon subsided when I stepped aboard the Genting Dream. Taking a deep breath in, I stepped off the gangway and looked up. The countdown was over!

Oh My WOW! My neck arched trying to make out the top deck. While I knew she was large ship, 18 decks to be precise, it's not until you're actually aboard that you really get the full scope of her height.

My cruise card had my cabin number and a letter to mark my muster station, so I was eager to dump my luggage and explore before the safety drill at 5pm. I headed aft and stepped aboard, had my photo taken and then was ushered to a sign with my muster station letter on it. That's strange? I thought to myself. I still had two hours till attend. The friendly crew scanned my card. Still confused, I asked if I had to wait here for the drill. She just smiled and pointed toward the lifts. Okay, I'll wait for an announcement, and pressed Deck 10. 

Eager to get to my cabin, I didn't take much notice of my surroundings, except to notice how clean, new and BEAUTIFUL the decor was. Lots of time to ogle the art later.




The Cabin



I knew I was given a balcony cabin, but I had no idea what it would look like. Unlike other ships, there was no need to insert my cabin card, rather quick tap on the sensor and the door unlocked. Nifty.

This was my second OH MY WOW moment. You can see all my photos  here. Spacious, bright, and with the BIGGEST most modern bathroom I have ever had at sea. The shower had a proper glass screen and the vanity was gleaming. And that bed... not only was the mattress extremely comfortable but the linen was super luxurious. Diving onto the bed (as you do) I experienced my first  slight pang, missing Mr Cruising With Honey... 



A few things to mention, there was ample hanging wardrobe space, but no drawers. There were however shelves. A big, flat screen TV, an electric kettle and tea/coffee making facilities, USB ports by the side of the bed, a couch and a stool that tucked neatly under the desk. The colours were tasteful and inviting, the art work had an Asian-flair. Yes, I was going to be very, very happy here.


Smoking



Outside on the balcony was a small table and two high-backed chairs. And an ashtray. Which bring me to the smoking policy on the Genting. It is important to note that there is a sign inside the cabin that states that inside the cabin is strictly No Smoking. However, the ashtray on the balcony puzzled me. In Asian countries, smoking laws and smoking in general is, for want of a better word, relaxed. By no means is smoking encouraged on balconies, however ashtrays are provide to avoid the mess of cigarette butts being left outside or flicked into the ocean. Smoking is also permissible in some areas inside the ship, but more on that later.

Quickly unpacking, I headed back outside to explore. (You can see my Livestreams here Part 1 and Part 2). 



I don't know why I expected the ship to be crowded, but on my first walk around the decks, I was surprised by how much room there was! The combination of a very big ship (335.33 metres long, a width of 39.7 metres) and a passenger capacity of 3300 and crew of around 1999 made for a very comfortable surroundings and very attentive service.

No muster?





Okay, so no-one really enjoys muster, right? I've sat and stood through enough to know they aren't terribly exciting, so I was a little shocked that halfway through my Livestream Part 1 (at about 12 mins) a safety announcement was made over the PA by the Cruise Director. The general emergency alarm sounded as was the emergency info - in English and Mandarin. I wasn't overly fazed, but I couldn't help but wonder if first timers understood the actions they would have to take in an emergency.


Penfolds Wine Experience





I'm far from a wine connoisseur, and to be honest, my wine knowledge is limited to red, white, bubbles, stickies. I prefer sweeter drops and usually can feel the effects in my legs after a few sips. However, like any activity I'm afforded, the opportunity to learn something new, is always a privilege. I'll never get so jaded that I'll allow myself to not appreciate and not be grateful. I'll even give you, yes YOU the reader, to slap me upside-the-head if I ever become arrogant. Anyway, back to the wine.

We were introduced to a number of very expensive and exceptional drops. Our sommelier Erdol (who became a constant fixture during our cruise, anticipating our every want) poured, swilled, decanted, aerated and schooled us in the fine art of wine tasting, putting not only an entertaining display but sharing his in-depth knowledge on every wine we sampled.

As I looked around the beautiful room, lined with eleventy-hundred bottles of wine that probably cost more than my car, I spied Chef Mark Best. Wait, we weren't supposed to meet him till dinner. I'd better hold my glass by the stem and swirl with authority.  

The hour seemed to fly by, however while my comment about one red wine that "tasted like adult Ribena" went down like a lead balloon, everyone's spirits were buoyed and it was such a fun experience. I could easily imagine doing this again with my family and friends on my next cruise with Dream. I mean where else could you sample such exquisite wines for around $20 each?

Seafood and steak, yes please!



I'd missed lunch and my breakfast of Aloe Vera yogurt (it's actually delicious) was a distant memory, so my rumbling tummy was very much anticipating our last activity for the night, dinner at Mark Best's Seafood Grill and Prime Steak House. 

The speciality restaurant (that offers two menus) is an elegant and modern eatery on the ship. It does have a surcharge, but for the quality, variety and five-star service, it's well worth spending your dollars here. The intricately designed dishes bursting with fresh ingredients exceeded my expectations. Offerings included lobster, steak, pasta, risotto, created with thought and dollops of flavour. 



Seafood isn't my favourite, but I absolutely froth for scallops. Naturally, I ordered scallops for entree (slightly seared and floating on a golden pool of saffron risotto) and main (delicate lobster and scallop ravioli in a light broth).  I mean I'd only be wasting my stomach space if I ordered anything else, right? And can I tell you, I delighted in every masticated mouthful. A velvety tiramisu crowned the meal and, with a satisfactory smack of the lips and a stifled yawn, I bade adieu to my dining companions good night.

Sleep came easily as I dissolved int
o into a thread count that I couldn't remember the number of. Pictures of my dream day filled my thoughts and I smiled for myself alone, knowing there were more day dreams to be had tomorrow.

The first day.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments