5 Reasons to Take a Mekong River Cruise aboard Emerald Harmony

By Cruising With Honey - 13:10

Honey and the sunset aboard Emerald Harmony in the Mekong Emerald Cruises



5 Reason to Take a Mekong River Cruise aboard Emerald Harmony


I’m convinced time moves at a faster speed when you’re on holiday. As I sit here, sipping my last cocktail aboard Emerald Harmony, the last week has been such a relaxing, eye-opening discovery – but it’s gone past so quickly. Luggage is packed and it’s time to sadly bid goodbye to the crew. 

If my livestream, photos and updates haven’t convinced you to explore the Mekong with Emerald Cruises, I thought I would compile my 5 Reasons to Cruise aboard Emerald Harmony. Enjoy!

1 – The Ship 

Cocktail at sunset aboard Emerald Cruises Emerald Harmony on the Mekong


The Emerald Harmony is classed as a star ship – the term Emerald has appointed to its River cruise ships. To call Harmony a ‘luxury’ vessel is subjective, depending on what you’re used to. However, in my opinion the ship is very luxurious. Modern, beautiful décor, stunning cabins and wonderful common areas. The dining room is tasteful and elegant, and the spa area is relaxing and beautiful. Laundry amenties are super handy and the Sun Deck is the perfect place to watch the sun set over the river.

2 – The Crew

Crew member aboard Emerald Harmony River Cruise




As soon as you step on board, you are embraced by the crew. One of the privileges of cruising on a small ship is the crew to passenger ratio. Each crew member takes pride in remembering your name, your preferences and truly will do anything to ensure your cruise experience is amazing. The Asian hospitality is so courteous and humbling – and warm. I can honestly say I miss the daily interactions with crew who are some of the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of sailing with.

3 – The Food

Prawn dish aboard Emerald Harmony


The food and beverage offerings on a cruise is very important to me. Cruising means that I don’t have to cook or prepare or clean up. The quality, variety of every meal was spectacular. The fresh fruit, local delicacies and made-to-order meals surprised me every day.

Chef Jaya from Emerald Cruises aboard Emerald Harmony

You can tell great care, originality and skill goes into every menu curated. Over the 7 days aboard Emerald Harmony, I did not have ONE dish that wasn’t flavoursome and top quality.

4 – The Excursions

Royal Palace Phnomn Penh

Having never travelled in Vietnam (and only briefly in Cambodia), I would say that if I had to navigate the tourist sights alone, I’d feel very overwhelmed. Each day, there was at least one included shore excursion that was educational, enjoyable, and eye-opening.

Cruising with Honey on a rickshaw in Vietnam


The variety of the excursions meant you were never bored and the knowledge and passion of the tour guides was exceptional. From riding in Tuk Tuks, to visiting solemn sights (The Killing Fields), the hustle and bustle of the Sa De markets and visiting villages to meet locals, each excursion was well planned and culturally immersive. Travel is no longer just having a great time, but having meaningful experiences and gaining knowledge. This is what Emerald offers its guests.

5 – The Mekong

Sunset over the Mekong river


River cruising is such a different experience to ocean cruising, and discovering the Majestic Mekong was something I’d never contemplated. Now, that I’ve cruised down this river, I can understand the magic that it weaves. Both serene and busy, the utter relaxation casts a spell of awe and reflection. The natural beauty is captivating and so foreign to western eyes. To see life on the river gives you a new perspective of how other people live and an appreciation of things we might take for granted. 

I know now why the Mekong is referred to as MIGHTY and MAJESTIC. I do hope that you can have your own Emerald adventure one day soon.

Local Vietnamese at the wet markets, Sa Dec


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments