MSC

MSC World Europa - Day 3

By Cruising With Honey - 14:13


MSC World Europa - Day 3

For someone who is not a morning person, my brain woke me with a start at 5:30am. It must have known what a busy day I had ahead, so there was no use fighting it. Up and at ‘em Honey.

The early Honey get the sweet coffee



The beauty of waking up early is that I could explore more of the incredible MSC World Europa, was that I could do some filming and take lot of photos of a virtually empty ship. First stop was the World Promenade (I keep getting drawn back to this area) WATCH MY LIVE STREAM HERE 

There’s something really special about the World Promenade and I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to just sit out here while cruising and admire the wake.

As I still had a bit of time before the Coffee Emporium opens, I wanted to take a look at the Panorama Lounge on Deck 7. Sweet Scallops! What a stunning venue

WATCH MY LIVESTREAM HERE 

The colours, the design and the expansive floor-to-ceiling windows are breathtaking.

And, now it was time for coffee. I’m naturally hyperactive so one cup of coffee can keep me going for two days, but I had to try the coffee at the Coffee Emporium. 


And, naturally I picked the most indulgent beverage, the Nutella coffee! WATCH MY LIVESTREAM HERE  Creamy, sweet and chocolatey, it was a delight! Did you know that MSC roast their own coffee beans, right on board?

World Europa scoops the big awards




There’s been a lot of talk (and action) about sustainability and the impact of cruising on the environment. I suppose, the silver lining of the pandemic was that cruise lines could accelerate technology and to not only reduce their emissions but actually help the environment. One thing that makes me very frustrated is the ignorance of some of the public (usually, non-cruisers) and the media that continue to pile on the cruise industry without actually understanding what lines are doing in sustainability.


This morning, I joined other media from around the world and trade partners for a special presentation, recognising World Europa’s achievements. Veritas awarded the 12 Golden Pearls award, for the highest notations and certification for Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) in cruise vessels. It was pretty impressive and very enlightening. Click here to find out more about MSC’s Sustainability Programme 


Cool Qatar


While we weren’t actually sailing anywhere, a shore excursion was still on the cards. After a inhaling a delicious frozen yogurt (calories don’t count on cruises and I’m sure my walking in the Qatari heat will burn them off anyway) I was back on land to explore the city.




The luxury coaches drove us through the city and I was amazed by the futuristic architecture. Every building was unique and interesting. I'd never seen a skyline like this before.



We drove past the massive dugong sculpture, a giant public art installation on the Doha Corniche by acclaimed American artist Jeff Koons. The 21m high and 31m wide shiny steel sculpture at Al Masrah Park is part of the 40 sculptures installed across the country ahead of the FIFA World Cup Qatar. I couldn’t help but wonder how they got this artwork over here!

On we drove through the modern city which would soon host the World Cup. There was still a lot of construction yet to be completed – but it seemed to be going at a super-fast pace.




At Kotara Cultural village, we had the chance to explore the intricate mosque and walk around the amphitheatre before driving around The Pearl - a man-made island that sits on 4 million sqm of reclaimed land. 



Bustling with hotels, cafes and restaurants, luxury boutiques, the area boast a lavish residential community. Every second car we passed was a luxury vehicle, Rolls Royce, Bentley, BMW. This county is rich, rich, thanks to its oil and gas reserves and I can only imagine how much more it will grow.



Camels and falcons and perfumes, Oh My!




Never in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine what I saw next. Through the heat haze and the golden sunset streams, an army of camels, languidly marched by their rocking gait. Rubbing my eyes, I raced over to the bus window and indeed dozens of camels with tradition headressed-adorned riders make their way across the lawn of an official looking building. 

I was too mesmerised to pay much attention to our tour guide who explained what the building was ( some Ministry building) but apparently the camel procession takes place twice a day and we were just lucky to be at the right place at the right time.




Moments later, we arrived at the Souk Waqif. Literally translating to ‘Standing Market’ I was so super excited to uncover treasures of spices, garments, traditional handicrafts and more. And, it would be a great place to practise my Arabic. However, before I could get lost in the meandering alleyways, the entrance we were dropped off at was a type of pen for camels. 



I squealed as I ran over to pet the camels – my absolute favourite animals – and their keepers graciously allowed us to cuddle the creatures and take lots of selfies. 

As l bade my goodbye, I looked back at the chewing camels juxtaposed against the futuristic ombre sky, marvelling at the beauty and strangeness of this moment.




The next few hours, I was in heaven! The sights and sounds and scents were intoxicating. I entered a falcon shop and hospital, tested the patience of a perfume seller and zig-zagged my way through spice, gold and copper shops. It was not only visually beautiful but clean and friendly.



And, I cannot stress this enough, incredibly SAFE. All vendors were professional and friendly and not once put the hard to make a purchase. Yes, I haggled a bit, but prices were reasonable. I wish I could have stayed there all night.




That night, I dreamt I was in the dessert, riding a camel over the dunes, traversing the waves of golden grains and connecting to a time and place that was innately familiar.

Maybe it wasn’t a dream, but a memory of a past life.







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments